M25 Round About: A circumnavigation of 'that' London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 4, Cheshunt - Potters Bar & Home
2nd August, 8 miles

No, I was wrong. Despite its more bijou dimensions and a cafe rather than restaurant vibe, the breakfast in this Travelodge was equally as good as those I had in the Premier Inns. Despite a much lower cycling mileage in prospect, having paid for it, I saw no reason not to enjoy a hearty breakfast.

I had booked a northbound LNER train from Stevenage at around eleven so, even including the buffer of an earlier connecting train, I wasn't especially rushed. The final few miles in completing my circumnavigation to end back in Potters Bar were along quietish back lanes that proved more rolling than I'd anticipated. On a somewhat cooler morning, the slightly increased effort demanded was welcomed, then with only around eight miles done the lap of London was complete.

D4 Train at Potters.jpg

The journey home was thankfully uneventful; trains were on time, bike storage efficient and effective, and the final few cycling miles from Doncaster to home in sunny if not slightly breezy weather. The only slight fly in the ointment was that I spotted the fixing bolt on my bike’s left crank had gone astray sometime. That'll need replacing before the next tour.

M25 Orbital Bike map cycle_travel.png

Courtesy of cycle.travel

Last edited:
OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Epilogue

D3 M25_4.jpg

Quiet(ish) road with the M25 just a few metres up the embankment

This tour was never going to be a major challenge, simply something a little different to shake up what I've done in the past. It couldn't compare with the wilds of Scotland or the climbs of Wales; it wasn't intended to. What it offered instead was variety; dipping in and out of the countryside, regularly swapping the rural for suburban. Other than brief spells, this was less about peace and solitude and more about ensuring that access to resources which I might need remained in easy reach. By including at least one focus of interest on each day - cycling around Heathrow, up Box Hill, the Dartford Crossing - I always had something to look forward to. Supplemented of course by serendipitous moments like the Weybridge Ferry.

D2 Weybridge Thames.jpg

Thames at Weybdrige

I was lucky with the weather, managing to slip the attentions of the thunderstorms, and equally lucky with the train journeys which sometimes make travel with a bike so fraught. Having not toured using hotels such as these before, they too could be added to the positive column of my balance sheet. Not particularly cheap, but easy to book, accommodating to cyclists, and offering easy access to food … quality notwithstanding!

D3 Hotel room.jpg

Room at Travelodge, Cheshunt

Setting cost to one side for a moment, this form of accommodation was better than some B&Bs I've experienced in the past, but worse than others. It’s arguably simpler and more comfortable than pitching and sleeping in a tent at the end of the day, yet less … romantic? Will I be posting my tents to an online auction site as a result? Not for a minute. But might I include such hotels as potential accommodation in the future? Given my changing circumstances, definitely. What I have undoubtedly learned from this tour is that it's important to be adaptable and to accept there are multiple ways to conduct and be fulfilled by a bike tour. Wonder what my next one will involve? A bit less of ... ?

D3 M25_2.jpg

blackrat

where cyclists can ring through to the control room and request a shuttle
How so very British and civilised!
A serendipitous navigation error at a roundabout took me along a busy road which I sought to leave at the earliest opportunity
That's my concern on some of these obscurely directed junctions.

Alas, the poor tree in Theydon Bois looks quite dead.

Thanks for the pics and write up. All very nice.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
After briefly leaving the Thames at Chertsey I was surprised but delighted to return to it at the ferry crossing at Weybridge. During planning the route I never noticed a ferry crossing was involved. It's pedestrians and bikes only, the single journey was £4.40 and I enjoyed the whole minute or two it took. Maybe it's the quirkiness of such things in more modern times, or a bit of chat with the ferryman, but the pleasure I got far outweighed the minimal cost. The next section was, however, less than pleasurable along a busy, narrow B365 into Cobham, then under the M25 and back to the more rural lands beyond.
Yes, the B365 or Seven Hills Road is horrible. There is a plan somewhere for it to be improved with some dedicated cycling infrastructure but at present the vast majority of cyclists continue to Esher and take the top road to Cobham - it's still busy but much wider and safer.

Well done with the Surrey Hills - they can be a killer!

Top Bottom