Long term review of charge spoon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I like these saddles, i find they suit me and they are usually on offer somewhere ;)
The saddle of the commuter is around 4 years old now and it shows signs of wear although the general surface condition i find the seam where the stitching runs across the saddle tends to harden and become slightly raised over time which become uncomfortable.
I have tried the fabric scoop but found the design of the padding where it does not extend over the hull could cause issues , unless anyone knows of another saddle of a similar shape with no stitching ?
I used to ride stock boardman saddles for many years but i dont think the shape is the same now ?

Gunk

Guru
I’ve been a fan for years, my Van Nicholas wears one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never had an issue with the stitching TBH. I loved the Knife, same as a spoon bit lighter. The design flaw was the base used to crack in the middle as it wasn't as strong. I broke two. They were discontinued. My commuter and Ribble have them (Spoons).

As for similar saddles, I have an older Selle Italia SLR, a Fizik Nisene (from my Boardman), and a Colnago labelled FSA saddle - main thing is they all follow the same shape as the spoon - relatively flat and flat side to side, with minimal padding/raised areas in the mid saddle. The SLR is a cut out, as is the FSA (but hidden)

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have a Spoon on my home-brew gravel bike - the best compliment I can pay it is that I never notice it.

Another good copy is the Madison Flux although it looks like this has been discontinued too.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve been using Charge Spoons for many years, I have them on 7 of my bikes, including 2 mountain bikes. They are fantastic saddles with the added bonus that they are so cheap.
The first Spoon I bought has been sat on for well over 20,000 miles and still looks great.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I’ve been using Charge Spoons for many years, I have them on 7 of my bikes, including 2 mountain bikes. They are fantastic saddles with the added bonus that they are so cheap.
The first Spoon I bought has been sat on for well over 20,000 miles and still looks great.

I was similar, but happened across a San Marco Rolls on a vintage bike I bought, so have now swapped out the charge spoons on a couple more for Rolls. I even found a Celeste coloured NOS Rolls for the Bianchi. Mountain Bike and old Peugeot still has a Spoon and I have a couple of spare spoons kicking around

Drago

Legendary Member
I can't stand them. A real spoon up my backside would be more comfortable.

Annoying, as many moons back I was given 3 x Madison Flux saddles (same saddle as the Spoon from the same factory but with different styled covers) and kind of felt compelled to use them so as not to seem ungrateful.

Gunk

Guru
but happened across a San Marco Rolls on a vintage bike I bought

Love a Rolls, they look great on a vintage bike, reasonably light and surprisingly comfortable.

si_c

Guru
I'm a huge fan of the Fabric Line Elite - I've got it on all three road bikes and a standing eBay search to find more as I can't find new stock anywhere. It's a great saddle for me, quite narrow at 134mm, but not had any issues with the saddle where the padding meets the frame and I've had these for a few years now.

Before that I was using the stock saddle which came with the Felt VR I had - it was a rebranded Selle Royal but they don't make it anymore. I also had luck with the Selle Italia Turbo remake.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm a huge fan of the Fabric Line Elite - I've got it on all three road bikes and a standing eBay search to find more as I can't find new stock anywhere. It's a great saddle for me, quite narrow at 134mm, but not had any issues with the saddle where the padding meets the frame and I've had these for a few years now.

there's one on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276633467506?chn=ps&_ul=GB

Or new here in black/yellow
https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/co...9789?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=FP3036U16OS

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've been using a charge spoon since last autumn.
I don't particularly notice any difference when I sit on it, but it has significantly reduced a compression/bruising pain I used to suffer from time to time with the old saddle.

They're available from £16 on Tredz, currently; and I think you can currently get a 6% "discount" via Topcashback.

presta

Guru
I’ve been using Charge Spoons for many years
Wot, you mean they made them for ages and resisted the temptation to keep faffing around with the design?

I quite liked the Selle Italia FLX that came on my Horizon so I bought another one when it broke, only to find there had been some subtle invisible change that made it agony to sit on.

Top Bottom