England : London London to Brighton Veteran Car run: Sunday 3 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
For those of you who haven’t experienced it, the London to Brighton veteran car run is a fabulous day on a bicycle. This year it’s on Sunday 3 November. You get to ride alongside some fabulous machinery, not just the cars, but also historic bicycles and motorbikes. The atmosphere is brilliant with plenty of cheering spectators. Some stretches are even on closed roads. Usually we meet either at the start (Hyde Park) 7.00am-ish, or East Croydon station (8.30am). From there it’s a loose peloton for as far as you like. Elevenses in Crawley, and no problem getting a train home from Brighton.

Here's the route the cars take.

I'm aiming for East Croydon for 8.30am, leaving shortly afterwards. Anyone else?

Domus

Guru
Would love to, however cruising the high seas, eating and drinking outrageous amounts at that time. 👍

johnCM

For those of you who haven’t experienced it, the London to Brighton veteran car run is a fabulous day on a bicycle. This year it’s on Sunday 3 November. You get to ride alongside some fabulous machinery, not just the cars, but also historic bicycles and motorbikes. The atmosphere is brilliant with plenty of cheering spectators. Some stretches are even on closed roads. Usually we meet either at the start (Hyde Park) 7.00am-ish, or East Croydon station (8.30am). From there it’s a loose peloton for as far as you like. Elevenses in Crawley, and no problem getting a train home from Brighton.

Here's the route the cars take.

I'm aiming for East Croydon for 8.30am, leaving shortly afterwards. Anyone else?

Darn It, sounds great but the soonest I could get to EC would be 8.52 if trains are running on time.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Must be at least 6 yrs since I did this. Am keen to ride again if i can clear my calendar.

Darn It, sounds great but the soonest I could get to EC would be 8.52 if trains are running on time.
Same problem for me, but being in Surrey I can simply ride East to the route and rendezvous either at Purley or Redhill.

StuartG

slower but no further
The route seems to mostly follow the A23, especially south of Crawley. How cycle friendly is this route?

No, not unless they have altered it south of Crawley. Its along lanes (some closed except to them and us or converted to only southbound traffic). You do get some car clubs showing off their pride and joys on the verges. Morris 1000, Standard Triumphs and other motors you might have seen on 'The Sweeney'.

It rejoins the six lane A23 just north of Brighton. No sane cyclist would dare attempt that in ordinary times but on this day it is safe* if you tuck in behind a vintage motor. The other traffic slows to gawp and keep its distance. Remember an old motor is seldom a match for a fit cyclists. Just do it - if the weather is kind you won't regret it.

*Safe does not include inhaling large quantities of partially burnt fossil fuels ;-)

The route seems to mostly follow the A23, especially south of Crawley. How cycle friendly is this route?

Very. Depends what you consider friendly.
South of Crawley the route runs roughly parallel with the A23 going through Staplefield, Cuckfield, Burgess Hill re-joining the A23 dual carriageway at Pyecombe. Here you can either take the cycle path (NCN 20?) on the west side of the road or closely follow an old vehicle in its slipstream. The latter is fun.

For those of you who haven’t experienced it, the London to Brighton veteran car run is a fabulous day on a bicycle..... Anyone else?

As usual, I shall join somewhere between Crawley and Staplefield - all dependent on clement weather.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It rejoins the six lane A23 just north of Brighton. No sane cyclist would dare attempt that in ordinary times but on this day it is safe* if you tuck in behind a vintage motor. The other traffic slows to gawp and keep its distance. Remember an old motor is seldom a match for a fit cyclists. Just do it - if the weather is kind you won't regret it.

*Safe does not include inhaling large quantities of partially burnt fossil fuels ;-)

Would it not be better to tuck in just in front of one then and avoid the fumes, a modern day flag waver, from when that was a thing? :okay:

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
No, not unless they have altered it south of Crawley. Its along lanes (some closed except to them and us or converted to only southbound traffic). You do get some car clubs showing off their pride and joys on the verges. Morris 1000, Standard Triumphs and other motors you might have seen on 'The Sweeney'.

Last year there were cones all the way down lane 1 of the A23 to the A27 roundabout. So veteran cars and cycles only. I can’t remember what the arrangement was at the roundabout, but I’m still here to tell the tale.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Would it not be better to tuck in just in front of one then and avoid the fumes, a modern day flag waver, from when that was a thing? :okay:

Not a great idea. S9me of the jalopies brakes are very iffy at best, with ocean liner stopping distances. You don't want to be in front of one that's for sure.

Top Bottom