Lezyne 1800+ vs 2400+ light for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawk

Veteran
It seems Lezyne front lights are on sale at the moment and I'm trying to decide between a Super Drive 1800+ (£95) versus the Mega Drive 2400+ (£134) to replace a 12 year old "3000lm" CREE LED light with a bulky external battery pack. This is primarily for commutes including unlit winter country roads (usually quite fast with average 17-19mph for 30 miles round trip) as well as some club rides.

The 1800+ is a smart light so allows customisation of modes, whereas the 2400+ is around 50% greater battery capacity. Both support the external power pack and a "race mode".

The 2400+ is a bit brighter, but looking at this comparison tool it seems it just throws more light around the periphery, with the central bright spot being roughly equivalent. I'm in two minds about this, because on one hand that could be useful but I'd also be more worried about glare to occasional oncoming traffic potentially.

Has anyone tried either or both of these lights or might have some suggestions?

Thanks!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
given the cree light is liable to be optimistic at best or a down right fib for its power output i reckon the lower rating will be plenty.

si_c

Guru
I have the Lezyne 1300 which is more than powerful enough for any riding, I rarely run the light beyond it's 500ish setting, it gives plenty of running time and more than sufficient light on the road.

Be careful of light angle, the 1300 has good optics and spreads light out well but can dazzle if angled up too much.

The Race mode you mention is excellent, I have an older Lezyne and though it comes with 7 modes the Race mode puts into eco/full only. Also any battery pack with the right USB lead will work to charge it on the go.

I'm not sure if it run for 2 hours at Full though a battery will see it through. Eco is at least 7, I've never timed it properly.

Alex321

Guru
Personally, I would strongly prefer this one at £115
https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/ravemen...dualens-front-light-with-remote-p33590/s69202

Oir the 1400 version at £88
https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/ravemen-pr1400-usb-rechargeable-dualens-front-light-p33367

I have the 1600 version, but that stopped production in January.

Plenty of light for riding unlit roads (on the flat I'll be riding at 18-20mph), and the ability to dip using the remote means you shouldn't be dazzling other road users. The 1400 has a wired remote, the 2000 has wireless (they seem to be replacements for the 1600 and 1200 respectively).

I normally use it in flash mode while in the city, and full beam/dipped beam on the rural roads, and it easily lasts the round trip for my commute (about 1 hour each way).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Quite interesting seeing these kind of Lumen values. Twenty years ago I had a Lupine Passubio halogen bulb light for dark country lane commuting and off road riding. Max lumens (high beam) was 370 lumens. That was more than sufficient. These newer lights must be like riding with a light house strapped to the bars.

classic33

Leg End Member
Quite interesting seeing these kind of Lumen values. Twenty years ago I had a Lupine Passubio halogen bulb light for dark country lane commuting and off road riding. Max lumens (high beam) was 370 lumens. That was more than sufficient. These newer lights must be like riding with a light house strapped to the bars.
71tU3mho0tS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

A bit overkill for commuting use.

Alex321

Guru

If you are only riding at 10-12mph, 400 or so lumens is probably sufficient.

If riding at an average of 15mph, which means you'll be doing 18+ on the flat, and getting up to 25+ on downhills, then you really need a bit more (Or I certainly feel I do).

Top Bottom