LEgentleJOG 2021.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's been a while since we heard from you @mikeIow , how have you been getting on? Hope you're getting along okay although I work out you've possibly finished at the weekend, so you might just be settling back in at home before your final write up!

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Good point! In my defence, I’ve been doing daily Instagram updates 🤪

Well, I feel like I’m now in the holiday portion of my LEJoG!

Joined by some pals in Edinburgh, they are a little slower than me, & whilst we had a couple of ~70m days, the Scottish portion is kinder, & the weather far nicer!
Now tucked up in the Crask Inn: we could have taken a day less, but tomorrow we head up over to Bettyhill, then a final 50m to JoG

Each day here has been pretty delightful: a cracking Unorthodox Roasters cafe in Kinross….great lunch at The Pier in Lairg today….happening upon the Clara Cairns outside Inverness….lovely beer & pizza at the Black Isle Bar in Inverness…
I cannot recommend highly enough staying at the Balsporran B&B: just a delight, with lovely hosts and their lovely crazy bearded collie….even if I did blindly pedal past it for 3 miles slavishly following the Wahoo (hint: put the actual location in, not a postcode 🤣). I will return one day!!

Some fabulous scenery along the way: today was really remote, & it is still very light outside!

So….having had almost 25,000 ft of climbing in pouring rain and gales on the first leg (& a broken crank!)….22,000ft of ups and a couple of LONG days on the second….this third leg m, with around 14,000ft of ascent, is feeling almost too easy!

One pal has had 3 punctures so far 😳.
I had the frame lug for the rear mudguard one side snap off: luckily I could bodge it to the frame nearby, and also had to zip-tie the pannier frame nearby it. I’m sure that lug should not snap off 🧐
Wondering how to approach Evans after this is over (particularly over The Crank issue, where they technically sold me a bike which was not fit for purpose….& then this lug & the rack mount!)

Anyway…..nearly there! Thanks for following!!
Oh yes: good luck on your JOGLE, @albal - must be crazy wanting to head into the wind 🤣

albal

Guru
Good point! In my defence, I’ve been doing daily Instagram updates 🤪

Well, I feel like I’m now in the holiday portion of my LEJoG!

Joined by some pals in Edinburgh, they are a little slower than me, & whilst we had a couple of ~70m days, the Scottish portion is kinder, & the weather far nicer!
Now tucked up in the Crask Inn: we could have taken a day less, but tomorrow we head up over to Bettyhill, then a final 50m to JoG

Each day here has been pretty delightful: a cracking Unorthodox Roasters cafe in Kinross….great lunch at The Pier in Lairg today….happening upon the Clara Cairns outside Inverness….lovely beer & pizza at the Black Isle Bar in Inverness…
I cannot recommend highly enough staying at the Balsporran B&B: just a delight, with lovely hosts and their lovely crazy bearded collie….even if I did blindly pedal past it for 3 miles slavishly following the Wahoo (hint: put the actual location in, not a postcode 🤣). I will return one day!!

Some fabulous scenery along the way: today was really remote, & it is still very light outside!

So….having had almost 25,000 ft of climbing in pouring rain and gales on the first leg (& a broken crank!)….22,000ft of ups and a couple of LONG days on the second….this third leg m, with around 14,000ft of ascent, is feeling almost too easy!

One pal has had 3 punctures so far 😳.
I had the frame lug for the rear mudguard one side snap off: luckily I could bodge it to the frame nearby, and also had to zip-tie the pannier frame nearby it. I’m sure that lug should not snap off 🧐
Wondering how to approach Evans after this is over (particularly over The Crank issue, where they technically sold me a bike which was not fit for purpose….& then this lug & the rack mount!)

Anyway…..nearly there! Thanks for following!!
Oh yes: good luck on your JOGLE, @albal - must be crazy wanting to head into the wind 🤣
Yeah thanks. And you nearly done. At crask inn now enjoying a nice black isle Porter. I like a challenge. Lol... tomorrow looks awful, weather. Wind ( normal) and rain. may do half day.

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Yeah thanks. And you nearly done. At crask inn now enjoying a nice black isle Porter. I like a challenge. Lol... tomorrow looks awful, weather. Wind ( normal) and rain. may do half day.
Ah, a lovely pint!! Maybe we passed you earlier!
Douglas is a nice fella there!

How are you planning stays to give you that flexibility?
Yup, finishing with some rain for me 😳
Bon voyage!

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
IT’S OVER!!!
A dreich day greeted us in Bettyhill, along with an early steep climb (the red of the day, but not the last steep one!)
A4CDCA0A-795E-4BC8-B9F0-C86783F2C32C.jpeg

A wet few hours: had to abandon my slower pals and hotfoot it to Thurso for some shelter (they rocked up a bit later 😉)
A more relaxing route onwards, with the last hills fading as we rolled down the hill to arrive at the final post for a celebratory photo and bottle of bubbles from the cafe!

A very nice dinner at the Seaview Hotel….then off to Wick tomorrow for a bus (or two) back to Edinburgh!

Not sure if anyone here followed my Insta updates…& if anyone donated (there were some anonymous ones), then on behalf of the Holme Valley Mountain Rescue Service: many thanks!

Top Bottom