Legal locks for bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katie6566

Hi

I've offered a metal chain to someone who hasn't got a bike lock, but haven't given it to them yet. It crossed my kind that a chain could be seen as a potential weapon, and therefore both carrying it to give it to my friend and for her to use it could get us into trouble.

We're both careful with money and so the idea of reusing items appeals but not if it could get us into trouble with police. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding size, length of chain or if using a purpose made lock is the only option.

Many thanks

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @Katie6566, welcome to CC :welcome:
Many cyclists and indeed motorcyclists used chains to secure their bikes.
My work bike spaces are awash with them!
Go ahead: I've carried chains in my panniers before upgrading to U locks, never thought of them as weapons.
If you think about it, a U Lock or a combination lock could be used as a weapon too!

Alex321

Veteran
If you have reason to be carrying the chain, then there is no need to worry.

As oters have said, there are many things which could be used as a weapon, but plod will only consider it such if you have no good reason for carrying it, and will only really even question it if you are in a situation where use of weapons would be likely.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If the rider is only leaving the bike in 2 places like home and the work bike rack then it might be easier to have a 2 locks and not carry them ?
I do this with my commuter as like most where i work we leave the locks in the bike shed at work .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unless the chain is a big 10kg one, it's probably useless for locking a bike anyway.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Be careful that it could mess up your friend's paint job, so unless the bike is already pretty scratched up you might want to put some kind of sleeve on it.

@Drago will give you the ins and outs of legality, but unless you and your friend are heard saying something like "let's go and get them and bash them with our chains" and marching off down the street "tooled up" with your bike chains then it's not a problem.

Unless the chain is a big 10kg one, it's probably useless for locking a bike anyway.
Well, it will be better than nothing. Which is what all bike locks are - to one degree or another.

AndyRM

XOXO
Be careful that it could mess up your friend's paint job, so unless the bike is already pretty scratched up you might want to put some kind of sleeve on it.

@Drago will give you the ins and outs of legality, but unless you and your friend are heard saying something like "let's go and get them and bash them with our chains" and marching off down the street "tooled up" with your bike chains then it's not a problem.

Well, it will be better than nothing. Which is what all bike locks are - to one degree or another.

He'll probably say that his fists are registered weapons so he shouldn't really leave the house :laugh:

But yeah, as others have said, you'll be fine. There's all manner of sharp pointy bits on a bike which could be easily used as a weapon.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
There was some legislation a while back that did imply carrying a lock could be viewed as carrying a potential weapon. The media as usual did it's best to blow things out of all proportion and if I remember correctly, some members here also had fears about it. It's all thankfully blown over now but if it does worry you @Katie6566 then you could always put it in a back pack or saddle bag.
But as said, unless you're waving it about and screaming like a nutcase I think you'll be fine and dandy.

OP
OP
K

Katie6566

There was some legislation a while back that did imply carrying a lock could be viewed as carrying a potential weapon. The media as usual did it's best to blow things out of all proportion and if I remember correctly, some members here also had fears about it. It's all thankfully blown over now but if it does worry you @Katie6566 then you could always put it in a back pack or saddle bag.
But as said, unless you're waving it about and screaming like a nutcase I think you'll be fine and dandy.

He'll probably say that his fists are registered weapons so he shouldn't really leave the house :laugh:

But yeah, as others have said, you'll be fine. There's all manner of sharp pointy bits on a bike which could be easily used as a weapon.
Thank you so much for replying...and reassuring me. Take care

OP
OP
K

Katie6566

Hi @Katie6566, welcome to CC :welcome:
Many cyclists and indeed motorcyclists used chains to secure their bikes.
My work bike spaces are awash with them!
Go ahead: I've carried chains in my panniers before upgrading to U locks, never thought of them as weapons.
If you think about it, a U Lock or a combination lock could be used as a weapon too!

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to reply....happy cycling..hope the weather's kind to you all

Top Bottom