Kirkpatrick C2C route - anyone done it? Planning to August 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobzmyunkle

Über Member
Ah, nice to know. I was considering this route with my son, but getting to the starting point seemed like an obstacle. I am still not sure about the bikes - for such a short trip I'd rather hire locally than bring our own.

Easy cycling Dumfries to Stranraer. One or two days, put into Cycletravel and it'll give you a good route.

dimrub

Über Member
Easy cycling Dumfries to Stranraer. One or two days, put into Cycletravel and it'll give you a good route.

I'm actually looking about something a bit lengthier, probably 5-6 cycling days, so doing the whole route in a relaxed manner (halfway between the "Challenge" and the "Explorer" options) seems like a good choice.

dimrub

Über Member
I think it's a go for this route - probably for next week. Thanks @DCLane for discovering it for me!

I found a bike shop that hires out dropbar gravel bikes - ideal for this route. If they can drive the bikes (and us) to Stranraer then collect the bikes from Eyemouth, that would be ideal. As far as I can tell, they're near Lockerbie, which is reachable by a direct train from London.

There seems to be quite a lot of rain and wind there at the moment, but you can't have it all (and at this point I'd much rather have that, than 33 Celsius in the shade).

I think I just need to figure the accommodations. Still not sure whether it's worth the effort to lag the camping gear - something to dig into (advice and recommendations of accommodations are welcome).

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@dimrub - hope the trip works out. I stayed in:

- An AirBnB in Stranraer on King Street
- A shepherd's hut in Lochfoot via AirBnB
- A B&B just outside Hawick through Hotels.com
- A B&B in Coldingham via AirBnB

The only issue is that I booked as a solo traveller and all the AirBnB's were for one person/couples.

Top Bottom