Kingcycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That looks fairly terminal to me, unless you're a hobbyist welder perchance.
Being the lowest point of that stick frame design, there ought to be drainage holes in that area to allow any water ingress to escape.
If no holes - could explain what's happened here.
Either way, none of this helps you I know.
Paint can hide a lot of sins, learned from having a few old crocs of cars over the years.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

That looks fairly terminal to me, unless you're a hobbyist welder perchance.
Being the lowest point of that stick frame design, there ought to be drainage holes in that area to allow any water ingress to escape.
If no holes - could explain what's happened here.
Either way, none of this helps you I know.
Paint can hide a lot of sins, learned from having a few old crocs of cars over the years.
Hi Frank.

I agree with your diagnosis.
Most cycle frame tubes have vent holes, which allow welding/brazing gasses to escape and subsequently help vent moisture.
No vents on my 'Kingcycle'.

Fortunately I know a couple of frame fabricators who think it is repairable.
Certainly giving the bike a life extension, long enough for my purposes as I'm 70!

I'll post developments here.

grldtnr

Über Member
'holey' crap ! You've been royally shafted there! Hope you didn't spend to much on it, alarm bells should've gone ding with the front brake issue..
I'd say if the previous owner was / is a member of the BHPC , try and get recompense from them, or shame them on the BHPC website.
That's not right at all

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

'holey' crap ! You've been royally shafted there! Hope you didn't spend to much on it, alarm bells should've gone ding with the front brake issue..
I'd say if the previous owner was / is a member of the BHPC , try and get recompense from them, or shame them on the BHPC website.
That's not right at all
As they say, ''Caveat Emptor''.

Here's the ebay sellers response to my recent photo's of the rot I uncovered....

I'm really sorry that you've found this decay in the stays. I can assure you my sale was 'bona fide', but I guess a bike of this age may always have hidden problems. I've shown the pictures you sent to a metalwork engineer and he assures me this is repairable, it's his opinion that water has most likely entered the frame somewhere and sat in the lower section. Hope this helps, Ralf​

When I met 'Ralf' he struck me as a genuine friendly chap.
I have a gut feeling he's well known in the BHPC world.
The frame had a BHPC sticker each side.

Today I dismantled it and scraped the powder coating well back from the obvious rot, which revealed the tubing is sound.
I can find nowhere obvious where water could have found its way in.

The brakes are in fact ok, they are mounted USA style, front brake on the left, rear on the right.
My fault for not spotting that as I'd never encountered it before LOL.
Just a matter of swopping them around.

The rest of the bike is fortunately in very good condition, especially as it's circa 30 years old.
I sent the brake manufacturer Magura an email request for information. None was forthcoming; their website seems to cater only for current products.

Now the frame is 'bare' my pal can do his thing with the repair skills he has, he's been fabricating motorcycle frames for over 40 years.
If I didn't know him, it would already be in the bin!

Thanks for your interest, hopefully I'll be posting any posetive progress.

Anyone reading this here has my permission to re-post my adventure on the Facebook Kingcycle forum for me. I don't use Facebook myself.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Über Member
Still say you ought to get recompense, I most certainly would, can you not open a case with eBay, as it plainly isn't fit for purpose.
At the least , the frame will need new tubes each side, maybe it can be patched, but I wouldn't be be happy with that.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Still say you ought to get recompense, I most certainly would, can you not open a case with eBay, as it plainly isn't fit for purpose.
At the least , the frame will need new tubes each side, maybe it can be patched, but I wouldn't be be happy with that.
You have persuaded me to reluctantly open a case with ebay.
I hate unpleasantness of any kind, but I think you are right.
Let's see what develops.
Thanks for your support.

I had the Maguras replaced by Bikefix with the new model HS22 ; no probs so far. Have been off the chat for a bit ; sorry to see and hear what you discovered. Made me run to look at mine...seem ok.
I'm off to Fowlmead [ world championships] tomorrow ETA 11 ish staying until 3 pm. If anyone wants to meet up give me a shout.

Comment

Send

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Hi Bob,

I tried several methods to contact Kevin at D.Tek.
No doubt he's a fine chap, yet it's plain he's hard to deal with (from the grapevine).
He did respond via an ebay request and said he'd list something by means of opening contact.
As far as that went, it didn't!
This was before the frame issue arose.

I'll try phoning him again and see where that takes me.

See my post#19, the Magura problems got resolved, thanks.

Top Bottom