ISA allowance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The 2024/5 ISA allowance is £20,000. Am I correct in thinking that this is the total amount you can have in ISAs and not the amount that you can put in this year?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Incorrect

£20K is your max annual contribution

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
You are allowed to earn up to £1000 in interest (called a personal allowance) in a non ISA before you pay tax as well, they sometimes offer better rates than ISA's. I'm maxed out on normal savings and have ISA's as well.

There's such a complex tax regime in the UK. How do you guys know these things?

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
There's such a complex tax regime in the UK. How do you guys know these things?
When it comes to savings, just plenty of reading up (plus Money Saving Expert). I work too hard for my savings without having to pay tax on any interest I earn, so I made sure I was clued up and move money about so that I get the best returns without the tax burden. I was hoping that they might increase the ISA limit but nothing yet. :sad:

Am i right in thinking then, if you had accrued say 100k into an ISA over several years, all the interest earned each year is tax free?
Plus the possible £1000 interest allowance on non ISA savings, as mentioned above?

PS - I'm at the thin end of the wedge, IFA fees would cancel out any potential tax savings.

Top Bottom