Is it just me or what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I organise several Audax Uk events, from a warm-up 157km to a couple of 600kms. Last year I also organised (on request) a 'sportif' style charity ride. It was not only shorter, but a lot more hassle, both from the riders wanting far more tlc (including way-markers) and the charity wanting elfansafety bollox of the styrofoam variety (which I refused to implement). Still, it went off all right. I didn't charge for my services.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Would I be right in saying (and i am trying to say the right words) that an Audax will have more experienced and faster riders then?
Where as a sportive is more of a free for all.

Or, if I did an Audax, would i get well and truly left behind?

The average age of an Audax club member is 50 ish. I (re)entered my first in my late 40's having previously done a couple years and years ago.. There were more experienced riders who were slower than me and less experienced ones who were much much fitter. And one nutter on a three speed Raleigh 20.

Would you get left behind? Not in my experience no. If you enter alone you might well find you ride much of it alone, if you want to, but informal groups of similarly paced, snail paced in my case, riders form and disperse during the ride. I've usually entered with mates, to share the travel cost of driving somewhere for stupid o'clock and our rule is everyone goes at their own pace and we only stick together if everyone is comfortable. Some are tortoises whilst others are hares.

100km Populaire is the best introduction imo. If you can ride 100km in one go, navigating for yourself, stopping for cake and lunch and toilet breaks, sorting your own mechanicals, and can do while enjoying the experience you can ride an Audax.

Seamab

I think sportives have their place. They encourage people to challenge themselves and get cycling. If their popularity results in a net gain of cyclists that's great IMO. Most newbies have never heard of audax. They are most likely to pick up a cycling mag which will have sportive features and think about entering one themselves.
No doubt that audax is better monetary value. However, how many "short" audaxes are there? I think 100K is the shortest and there's not a lot of them up here. Most newbies are looking for a progression and generally a sportive will offer 2 or 3 rides of different length which are acheivable. Not everyone wants to ride 200K or more in remote terrain without backup.
My sportive experiences are mostly good (the cycle club/charity type) one bad (professional org). All my audax experiences have been great (apart from the suffering to finish!).

PpPete

Legendary Member
Would I be right in saying (and i am trying to say the right words) that an Audax will have more experienced and faster riders then?
Where as a sportive is more of a free for all.

Or, if I did an Audax, would i get well and truly left behind?

Not if I'm riding it. I only go faster than the "minimum speed" (usually 15 kph / 9 mph) to make sure there is plenty of cake left when I get to the controls.
Some of the shorter events have lower minimum speeds.

Pauln

I like the sound of the Audax. I have entered my first sportive, which is next March (The Mad March hare), but like the slightly more relaxed sound to the Audax. Might give one a go next year.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Audaxes tend to have minimum speed limits, I guess to avoid voluntary control marshals having to hang around too long to note the last rider. Also, since they are less well-known and advertised, they don't tend to attract the less experienced riders. If you look at some Sportive results, there are a handful or more of riders averaging less than 10 mile/h. And you need to have a bit of confidence with your own navagating. So my thoughts are that very slow riders are more at home in Sportives.

However you can't ignore that Audaxes are very much cheaper, have a good atmosphere, and are run by people who love cycling.

I do both.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
I like the sound of the Audax. I have entered my first sportive, which is next March (The Mad March hare), but like the slightly more relaxed sound to the Audax. Might give one a go next year.

Good choice. Paul Prince provides a good model on how sportives can be run.

I am sure that you will hear some wonderful tales about last year's event where the participants experienced blizzards, heavy rain and howling wind -- but the camaraderie was superb. Hopefully, 2013 will be better for weather.

Pauln

Good choice. Paul Prince provides a good model on how sportives can be run.

I am sure that you will hear some wonderful tales about last year's event where the participants experienced blizzards, heavy rain and howling wind -- but the camaraderie was superb. Hopefully, 2013 will be better for weather.
I was supposed to riding that last one but had tendinitis in my knee and so couldn't do it. A friend of mine did it and when I saw him later in the afternoon his hands had got so cold they were swollen.

I like the look of the Audax that you organise as they are not far from me. Might give one a go.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Sportives ,, all planed and signed so no need to look at route cards , maps etc , just like a modern computer = Plug and play
Audax , nice rides as long as you are a good map reader / can keep up with a GPS user or you have been and bought a GPS.

I prefer the Sportive , as far as money goes based on £20 per sportive x 5 in a year (thats as many as the wife lets me out to do) = £100 and enjoy ever minuite ,,, a season ticket watching my team £550 per year 50/50 misery / joy , - you pays your money you takes your choice

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
I like the look of the Audax that you organise as they are not far from me. Might give one a go.

You are more than welcome to enter. The Snowdrop is sold out but the Sunrise still has a few places available. It should make good training for Paul's sportive event, which is slightly harder.

Other good local sportives and audaxes include the Cotswolds audax in June from Kings Norton and Rob Gullen's Macmillan Shakespeare sportives in April and September.

http://www.shakespeare100.org.uk/in...cle&id=169:spring-event-report-&catid=39:news

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html

The control points / stamps. Do you just get a card punched or stamped then??

Yep, the Brevet Card is either stamped or a sticker is included at the better audaxes. A few audaxes with are shoe string affairs and only cost a couple of quid enter, with no helpers riders are expected to obtain till or ATM receipts as evidence of proof of passage.

Additionally, some audaxes also use information controls, where the rider has answer a set question asked in the Brevet Card, for example, "on signpost, how many miles to x?". That is another mechanism for proof of passage and to ensure that riders have not taken a devious short cut.

I love audaxes but my only gripes are connected to control points, including:

- AUK does not accept GPX tracklogs as evidence on their calendar or perm events. On that score, AUK are a bit backward.
- Some of the controllers, bless their souls, can be a bit dotty and confused when it comes to stamping the cards (more amusement than a gripe).
- A few organisers include too many information controls. When riding the Evesham audax last year, there was no less than eight of them. Most of the questions were dreadful and the controls difficult to find. A little more thought by the organiser would have assisted the riders.

Pauln

You are more than welcome to enter. The Snowdrop is sold out but the Sunrise still has a few places available. It should make good training for Paul's sportive event, which is slightly harder.

Other good local sportives and audaxes include the Cotswolds audax in June from Kings Norton and Rob Gullen's Macmillan Shakespeare sportives in April and September.

http://www.shakespeare100.org.uk/in...cle&id=169:spring-event-report-&catid=39:news

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html
Thanks, I will have a look at those.

frank9755

Cyclist
- A few organisers include too many information controls. When riding the Evesham audax last year, there was no less than eight of them. Most of the questions were dreadful and the controls difficult to find. A little more thought by the organiser would have assisted the riders.

Everyone hates info controls but the key is preparation: write a crib sheet out and tape it to your top tube so you can find the info easily, ideally without having to slow down!

Top Bottom