Inexperienced e-Bike Riders [Local Problem?]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rather than tackle young inexperienced illegal cyclists, this town in the US seems to have banned all ebikes.
https://electrek.co/2024/06/21/footloose-for-e-bikes-the-us-town-that-banned-all-electric-bicycles/

'I don’t mean to make light of a tragedy, but this entire scenario is eerily similar to Footloose. A fatal road accident in a small community results in longer-serving elders enacting a knee-jerk reaction to ban a perceived threat popular among younger members of the community instead of addressing the root of the issue. It’s textbook. Replace dancing and popular music with e-bikes and e-scooters, and it doesn’t take six degrees of separation to get there.'

Under-rated post.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

https://bust-a-ride.com/
Bust-A-Ride: (EPAC) 'Twist And Go' - TypeApproved - No License Or Registration Required

Are these really type approved? Does type approval not require registration of the vehicle with the DVLA?
FTR, they are twist and go up to 15 mph. Presumably the awkwardly placed pedals are there to get you home if the battery runs flat.
As you don't have to pedal (beyond 4 mph), surely not an EPAC?

Some more blurb from the website:

Explore easy and green travel with our electric two-seater bikes and tricycles. They’re road-legal and are type approved, with a simple ‘twist and go’ throttle for easy movement up to 15.5mph. Great for rides with someone else, and they meet tough safety rules. We have officially verified the road legality of our vehicles with the DVSA, so you can be sure they’re legal to use on the road. Every bike or tricycle comes with a 1-year warranty for your peace of mind. Enjoy the freedom of riding legally on two or three wheels. Your first order comes with a free gift!!

Marketing blurb from a faceache advertisement:

Road Legal 'Twist and Go' Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle!
Wave goodbye to mobility woes and hello to seamless travel with Bust-A-Ride, your key to unlocking the city in style. Designed with everyone in mind, this road legal, type approved 'twist and go' electric bike brings the future of urban transportation directly to your doorstep.
Why Bust-A-Ride?
- Accessibility for all: Our twist-and-go-throttle means no pedalling required, offering ease and comfort for riders with mobility issues or those simply seeking a smoother ride.
- Style meets functionality: Choose from a wide array of colours to match your style without compromising on performance.
- Freedom to ride: Legal and hassle-free, our EAPC eliminates the need for a driving license or vehicle registration, making it your go-to option for efficient, sustainable travel.
- Versatile and reliable: Whether it's running local errands, commuting or just cruising for pleasure, our EAPC guarantees a dependable and enjoyable transportation solution.

classic33

Leg End Member
https://bust-a-ride.com/

Are these really type approved? Does type approval not require registration of the vehicle with the DVLA?
FTR, they are twist and go up to 15 mph. Presumably the awkwardly placed pedals are there to get you home if the battery runs flat.
As you don't have to pedal (beyond 4 mph), surely not an EPAC?

Some more blurb from the website:

Marketing blurb from a faceache advertisement:
Wisper, who sell type approved bicycles have there's done separately through the MSVA.
To get type approval for a range of bikes would be to expensive. Which is why according to posts made on here, the MVSA is used.
If they have a Twist and Go throttle, and type approved, then they're saying they've been through the MVSA. In which case they'd now fall under the class of light moped, not e-bikes or e-assist bike.

Conclusion, marketing hype. Like e-scooters, neither illegal to sell or own, just not legal anywhere but on private land.

classic33

Leg End Member
What type are they approved as? I thought twist and go died a long time back.
There's a few out there that want the right to use it on their e-assist, without going through the proper channels.
Part of the old regulations they want to keep/bring back, but without getting it checked.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I seem to be encountering 2 or 3 different riders each week now - particularly on the lunchtime dog walk. Not many about at 5:30 am when I take the pooch for the morning walk. That's in addition to the delivery riders - which has gone from one seen regularly, to three now seen regularly.

They are a real PITA on the shared leisure routes because they travel so quickly around blind sweeping bends that they cannot stop in time and you have to react very quickly to pull the dog and yourself to safety.

There is a chap I've noticed some time ago selling lots of second hand used bikes on Facebook Marketplace, which is dubious in itself. He has now taken to selling e-bikes and e-bike conversions. 1000 Watt motors. Twist and Go. Advertised as being able to reach 33 mph; not sure that's quite feasible but I know they can certainly exceed 25 mph.

This morning, I've reported this chap to the DVSA and the fuzz.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I had an illegal e-bike* rider play chicken with me last night. They were stood talking to another human when I first sighted them. They set off, veered onto the wrong side of the road and came and rode toward me as I reached a mini-RAB. I held my line, covering the brakes, and they moved off it at the last second, thankfully.

*modified EAPC I think, went from a standstill to over approx 10 mph without pedalling

Top Bottom