In praise of hearing aids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think people on here should be made to check with their wives/husbands before saying their hearing is fine

just sayin'

Eh? Didn't quite catch that.

Aescott

After several years of badgering by my wife, I got an initial test at Boots, followed by a much more in-depth test as the first test showed mild to moderate loss, particularly around certain letters of the alphabet. The audiologist took his time and let me try out a set of hearing aids in the store, but I was not aware of a significant difference. He said that, at almost £3k, it would not be worth it for me as it did not make much difference.

The main reason for posting this is that both tests were free (in Scotland). My wife recently went to a different company and was charged £60 for the same thing.

After several years of badgering by my wife, I got an initial test at Boots, followed by a much more in-depth test as the first test showed mild to moderate loss, particularly around certain letters of the alphabet. The audiologist took his time and let me try out a set of hearing aids in the store, but I was not aware of a significant difference. He said that, at almost £3k, it would not be worth it for me as it did not make much difference.

The main reason for posting this is that both tests were free (in Scotland). My wife recently went to a different company and was charged £60 for the same thing.

Hmm - I think my grandkids have a problem with certain letters - especially dependant on the order

for example they sometimes have trouble hearing the letters N and O if put together!

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along

As above it is possible to get NHS hearing aids free.

For me it was a simple process.

Drago

Legendary Member
As above it is possible to get NHS hearing aids free.

For me it was a simple process.

I noticed Mrs D had the telly eye watering lying loud, and I say that as a man who has seen The Who live.

I took her to Specsavers for a hearing test and sure enough she's got less hearing left than Dave Grohl, so to the docs went and in very short order she had some really very smart NHS Jobs.

The lasses that run the department at the local hossy are brilliant. Any problems and, demand permitting, just drop in and they'll tinker with them and get her back on the road again. Really can't praise them enough.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I noticed Mrs D had the telly eye watering lying loud, and I say that as a man who has seen The Who live.

I took her to Specsavers for a hearing test and sure enough she's got less hearing left than Dave Grohl, so to the docs went and in very short order she had some really very smart NHS Jobs.

The lasses that run the department at the local hossy are brilliant. Any problems and, demand permitting, just drop in and they'll tinker with them and get her back on the road again. Really can't praise them enough.

I just discovered that I can get replacement hearing aid batteries free from our local library; brilliant!

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I would love to try some expensive ones to see if there is any difference

I have a pair of private hearing aids from Specsavers and a pair of NHS hearing aids also from Specsavers which I use as backups if my private hearing aids are in for repair. In my opinion there is a very significant difference in quality; the NHS hearing aids don’t suppress the background noise nearly so well and certain sounds are quite distorted. To be honest I find my NHS hearing aids very stressful indeed to wear and am so happy to be able to revert back to my private ones.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have a pair of private hearing aids from Specsavers and a pair of NHS hearing aids also from Specsavers which I use as backups if my private hearing aids are in for repair. In my opinion there is a very significant difference in quality; the NHS hearing aids don’t suppress the background noise nearly so well and certain sounds are quite distorted. To be honest I find my NHS hearing aids very stressful indeed to wear and am so happy to be able to revert back to my private ones.

Unless I win the lottery NHS will have to do :sad:

Conrad_K

unindicted co-conspirator
A few years ago I finally got a set of hearing aids. I had to go back to the audiologist several times to have them reprogrammed. He put in a sound cutoff so that they wouldn't amplify loud noises, which helped things a lot, and a bunch of filters for ambient noise.

In eight years I've worn them about that many hours. They were, in my case, a massive waste of money. Not covered by my medical insurance; $4K US down the toilet.

A) my tinnitus is so bad, I had to turn the aids up to ear-splitting loudness to hear over it, which gave me a headache rapidly

B) most of the people I was having trouble understanding turned out not to be able to speak intelligible English in the first place. The aids just turned "muf fuh buh duh" into "MUF! FUH! BUH! DUH!" Yeah, I heard that just fine without the aids.

[sigh]

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
A few years ago I finally got a set of hearing aids. I had to go back to the audiologist several times to have them reprogrammed. He put in a sound cutoff so that they wouldn't amplify loud noises, which helped things a lot, and a bunch of filters for ambient noise.

In eight years I've worn them about that many hours. They were, in my case, a massive waste of money. Not covered by my medical insurance; $4K US down the toilet.

A) my tinnitus is so bad, I had to turn the aids up to ear-splitting loudness to hear over it, which gave me a headache rapidly

B) most of the people I was having trouble understanding turned out not to be able to speak intelligible English in the first place. The aids just turned "muf fuh buh duh" into "MUF! FUH! BUH! DUH!" Yeah, I heard that just fine without the aids.

[sigh]

Sorry to hear that.

The person who finds a cure to tinnitus will make a fortune, be made a saint and get endless free drinks at the bar from people like you and me.

I get your second point. It's no wonder I've become more relaxed in recent years - I'm not hearing lots of things that wind me up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom