Idiot cyclist hits bollard and cuts chin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
3 falls in circa 13,000 miles over 4 years. Only one properly hurt.
I've run myself over 3 times! But that is over close to 40 years.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
...because I was watching my feet go round.

While I haven't done that it's only a matter of time. Frequently I look down at my feet and become mesmerized, just watching them going around and seeing the road being pulled along underneath. It's amazing!

buggi

Bird Saviour
While I haven't done that it's only a matter of time. Frequently I look down at my feet and become mesmerized, just watching them going around and seeing the road being pulled along underneath. It's amazing!
That's exactly what happened... I got mesmerised. I think its something that we all do when we get a bit knackered

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Bollards...........!!

these three in Sarf London confuse me...they serve no purpose and jup out of the kerb on a bend as you approach parked cars on the opposite side.

Billards_zpsa7jr9lc7.jpg
That looks familiar. Is it coming down towards the S Circular from Crystal Palace, just west of College Road? If is it, it's a pretty unexpected ''facility'' which doesn't seem to serve any purpose, except maybe keep Dulwich College, who do seem to encourage cycling, and the schoolchildren's parents, happy.

EDIT: Ah yes, I've just learned that it's called Alleyn Park

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

That idiot was me, last night. I was on a familiar road not far from work, where there is a traffic-calming feature consisting of kerb build-outs on either side to narrow the carriageway and force car drivers to take turns. There are narrow but generally usable mini-cycle paths on the left of the build-outs. As here :
View attachment 96338
I normally take the roadway, but if there are queuing cars I may use the cycle path. Last night, as I was approaching, a car came round the corner to approach the feature from the opposite direction, and I decided (or was deciding) to go down the cycle path.

Anyway, I must have vacillated a moment too long before engaging the turn, and suddenly realised I was heading straight for the middle of the kerb and the first ‘bollard’ on the left. The bike hit the bollard – luckily the flimsy plastic bendy sort – and I ended up sprawled on my front in the cycle path and felt a bump as my chin hit the ground.

I was quite OK except for* minor grazing on the knees and half an inch of skin scraped off the underside of my chin, which continued to bleed gently for the rest of my ride. Two drivers stopped to see if I was alright, and I thanked them but assured them I was. The main damage was that I felt so stupid for making such an elementary misjudgement.

No sympathy sought – it was my own stupid fault.

Has anyone else done anything stupid on a bike that they’d like to own up to amongst friends?

(*edit – and a bruised thigh that I can feel this morning)
That Baginton? The bottom of Mill Hill?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
That looks familiar. Is it coming down towards the S Circular from Crystal Palace, just west of College Road? If is it, it's a pretty unexpected ''facility'' which doesn't seem to serve any purpose, except maybe keep Dulwich College, who do seem to encourage cycling, and the schoolchildren's parents, happy.

EDIT: Ah yes, I've just learned that it's called Alleyn Park
That's the one...aka, stealthbollard

Top Bottom