Ice, does it stop you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Where was this? most of the UK was well above freezing last night.
I'm going to guess in Northern Ireland :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good idea. Wee daughter seemed to have no problems on hers this evening. Don't think pink would suit me though....or would it:cycle:
I'm starting to love my Kentex Trike (24 inch wheel model to which I've fitted a set of 26 inch wheel forks and an electrically powered front wheel kit) but at least it's blue. :whistle:........................................ :cycle: :giggle: bring on the snow 'n' ice. :becool:

I'm starting to love my Kentex Trike (24 inch wheel model to which I've fitted a set of 26 inch wheel forks and an electrically powered front wheel kit) but at least it's blue. :whistle:........................................ :cycle: :giggle: bring on the snow 'n' ice. :becool:
I've a little tin whatever change I have goes into. It has on the side of it PINARELLO DOGMA. That my friend is my next bike. It will be mine, oh yes it will be mine........... in about 2019:hyper:

I've only fallen once on ice (well, twice, but on same road, 500 yards apart)
This was about 3 years ago, the 2nd fall was hard enough to make me actually see stars, & I thought I'd broke my wrist

No studded tyres though, just normal 'year round' tyres, just at a slightly lower pressure for a better footprint

Winter/commuting bike is a Ribble 'Audax'/'Winter', so no chance of CX tyres on it!! (could always use the CX bike though!!)

However, if it is that bad, I'll run there in fell-shoes.
Snow isn't an issue in them (Inov-8 Mud-Claw)

Running Kit. Inov-8. Mud-Claw 330. 2.jpg

If it is icey, then I'll wear my Inov-8 OROC - these are meant to be orienteering shoes & have tungsten carbide studs in the sole!!!
Running Kit. Inov-8. OROC 340. 2.JPG

buggi

Bird Saviour
Not worth the injury. If car windscreens are frozen (particularly with that hard ice that's hard to scrape rather than a light dusting of frost) or the gritters are out the night before, it's a sure sign of black ice on the roads. If you have to cycle, stick to main roads where there are more cars to get rid of it and don't cycle in the gutter. Watch for shaded areas where ice lasts longer. Don't turn on frosted leaves and manhole covers. If you do fall, tuck in to minimise the chance of broken bones.

NOT a dig about headphones!

Listening also helps...

Know the road noise of your bike, when it changes to a sibilant hiss you are on frost, and when it goes silent you are on ice

Simply gives a few more moments of warning

10 degrees yesterday and today. Bike back out on the road YEHAW. The madness returns:hyper:

UPDATE TO ABOVE ENTRY

Now lying on the sofa. Plastered in Volteral and being a big baby. Neck in pieces, upper back bucked, shoulder immovable. Was bloody stupid and didn't give it enough time to recover.:sad:

Last edited:

Black Country Ste

Last winter doesn't really count. The winter before I was still going to work on my 23mm slicks in snow. In the time I've got to the car, de-iced and de-misted it, driven, parked and walked the remainder I can just take it easy on the main roads that have been gritted and have time to spare. If it's really bad I'll walk.

Top Bottom