I want to buy a MTB from Halfords but I don't know which one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

batlol

I've been looking at some bikes and I'm thinking about buying the Carrera Kraken Mens MTB. My budget is 450-500 pounds and I'm not sure on what to get can anyone help me decide on a bike to purchase?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Welcome!

What will you be using your new bike for? Riding round a city? Country lanes? Shopping?

The Kraken looks to have a long travel suspension fork; do you need to carry around all that weight?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Welcome!

What will you be using your new bike for? Riding round a city? Country lanes? Shopping?

The Kraken looks to have a long travel suspension fork; do you need to carry around all that weight?

It's only 120mm. Admit it's a bit much for the canal path, but if it's entry level off road, bit of cross country and rough bridleways, then it's fine. What's the bikes intended use ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
The Carrera Subway gets good reviews and would save you some money.

Seconded.

By someone who has one in ‘the fleet’.

Gets fab reviews for good reason and rides really well at a price that belies its solidity. Mine lives amongst bikes many-many times the cost of the Carrera - and I still truly enjoy riding it. In truth mine has actually only been in my ownership a month or two:

IMG_5888.jpeg

IMG_5947.jpeg

IMG_5851.jpeg

IMG_5848.jpeg

IMG_5849.jpeg

And goes everywhere inc some reasonably off-road paths / tracks / trails as you can see.

Infact for further clarity - this NEW Carrera Subway was only purchased to replace an outgoing 10-12 year old: Carrera Subway 🤣🤣🤣

Enjoy your cycling whatever you purchase 👍

All uphill

Still rolling along
No suspension?

And all the better for that.

Imo tyres are the best suspension, unless you have lots of money for a sophisticated suspension fork.

PaulSB

Squire
No suspension?
For the riding you describe you don't need suspension. In my view when riding on tarmac suspension will reduce your speed in two ways; added weight means you are pushing more bike around and the suspension absorbs some of the energy you are expending which would be better going into pushing the wheels round.

On paths you're unlikely to encounter anything worse than a few ruts or the occasional tree root. Suspension isn't needed by the majority of casual riders.

I ride a lot of gravel, up to 70/80 mile days. On my new bike I will be adding a Redshift suspension stem but wouldn't consider suspension forks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom