I bought an inner tube for my Brompton today but didn't have my reading glasses.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

Über Member
This sounds crazy, but bear with me :blush:. I bought an inner tube for my Brompton today and just about read ETRTO size as 47-355. I joked with guy behind the counter that I was looking for a 47-355, but could cut and rejoin it to get rid on the 6mm difference. It was only when I got home and changed my contact lenses to varifocal glasses that I noticed it says 18 x 1.75on the box. I suspect it's not a problem, but does anyone know if it will fit my Brompton?

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

Über Member
Oops, my second error, as i should have been looking for 37 not 47. So not good.
Should have gone to specsavers. :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
very difficult to work oiut what you have bought, but a Brompton tyre is 16"x 1.35, ERTo 35-349 . the bold being the important measures.
if your bought an 18" tube then you've cocked up, is its erto 355 then youre OK - that like the old 27" to 700c - it matters for a tyre, close enough for a tube.
edit you might be OK, the 355 etro 18" looks like a weird 18" than is close to a brompton size despite 16" and 18" not being close!!!
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

Über Member
Yup - I've spoken with the guy in the shop and he said they might have 16 inch tubes in the delivery tomorrow. -of course that depends on what 16 inch they are, but I'll make sure I have my glasses. :smile:
If I had a roadsite problem it would possibly get me mobile, but I may as well get the correct size as there's no urgency.

gom

Über Member
Yes, check the ERTO. 20ish years ago I was wanting a 16” x 1 3/4 tube for my Brompton, and bought a 16” x 1.75. Hadn’t read Sheldon then so expected them to be that same size. It wouldn’t fit 🙄

Top Bottom