Hypothetical question regarding illegal Ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

Without there being any cases to cite where this issue has been examined, I would assume that the presence of the battery on your person would be regarded as the same as its presence on the bike with the motor switched off.

My reason being; Imagine someone riding an e-motorbike under EAPC exemptions on a public road who is pulled over, he then removes the battery and puts it in his rucksack and says "This is not an e-motorbike as there is no battery."

The timing of this may be difficult, but if the police car/bike pulls up in front of the ebike not impossible.

If "the battery is in my rucksack" was an allowable defence then in order to prove that an offence had been commited then proof that the battery was in place would also be needed. It seems quite reasonable to see that this could not be proven without acceptable video footage.

Bye

Ian

Hi,
Just through curiosity it's got me thinking about the use of illegal Ebikes.
I make no excuses I've got one ,but I must stress I only use it on private land/estate with the owners permission.
It's a couple of miles though from where I live and was wondering how would I stand if I rode it to the private land along the public road with the battery taken off the bike and safely tucked away into my rucksack.
I have tried it along the road without the battery,and yes it's slow but not painfully slow.
Would this still be classed as illegal as I haven't got a clue to be honest.
If it is ok I would certainly use it more for short errands.
All the very best,
Johnny.

What is the model and how is it illegal? Some people assume all ebikes with throttles are illegal but before 2017 they were still legal to buy and still legal to use today and ebike kits have an exemption on throttles that could apply. You still have to adhere to other parts of the legislation. Many ebikes which were not classed as 250W a few years ago are now being sold as 250W. What definitely makes an ebike illegal without exception is lack of pedals but there are many variables.

classic33

Leg End Member
What is the model and how is it illegal? Some people assume all ebikes with throttles are illegal but before 2017 they were still legal to buy and still legal to use today and ebike kits have an exemption on throttles that could apply. You still have to adhere to other parts of the legislation. Many ebikes which were not classed as 250W a few years ago are now being sold as 250W. What definitely makes an ebike illegal without exception is lack of pedals but there are many variables.
Pre 2016, or those that qualified under the old regulations.

There is no exemption for DIY kits. The person fitting the kit has to ensure that the bike complies with all current regulations.

Drago

Legendary Member
Good morning,

Without there being any cases to cite where this issue has been examined, I would assume that the presence of the battery on your person would be regarded as the same as its presence on the bike with the motor switched off.

My reason being; Imagine someone riding an e-motorbike under EAPC exemptions on a public road who is pulled over, he then removes the battery and puts it in his rucksack and says "This is not an e-motorbike as there is no battery."

The timing of this may be difficult, but if the police car/bike pulls up in front of the ebike not impossible.

If "the battery is in my rucksack" was an allowable defence then in order to prove that an offence had been commited then proof that the battery was in place would also be needed. It seems quite reasonable to see that this could not be proven without acceptable video footage.

Bye

Ian

And good morning to you too, Sir.

Buy yourself a copy of Blackstones, and read up on the definitions of mechanically propelled vehicle and motor vehicle. This is all covered by primary legislation, thus there is no requirement for case law to define the matter.

These illegal ebikes are both, motor vehicle and mechanically propelled vehicle but most pertinently they are motor vehicles, for which the vehicle is supposed to be registered and the rider properly licensed, insured, etc. The fact of a rider using it on a road or public place de facto makes it a motor vehicle, ie, a mechanically propelled vehicle adapted or intended for use on a road or other public place. Depending on weight and performance such a device is legally classed as a moped or notorcycle,

Think of it this way. If you removed the engine and transmission from your car and propelled it along with your feet Fred Flintstone style your are still liable for insurance, MOT, and would have to be licenced, and would still get stuck on for exactly the same offences as if the engine were propelling it along.

Strip your car down to a bare shell and park it at the roadside you would still be required to insure and MOT it (and tax it, but that's another matter.) It remains a motor vehicle.

Therefore, the example you cite would provide no defence - the removal of the battery does not render it any less a motor vehicle than a car with the fuel tank removed.

And so it is with these illegal ebikes - simply removing the battery does not make them suddenly legal. It is still a motor vehicle.

However, there is a quirk at play here. Because they are unregistered the authorities don't know about it (unless the rider has been caught) so if the rider removed all trace of the mechanisms of mechanical propulsion (battery, holder, wiring, controller, switches, etc) then unlike the example of a car they could then get away with riding it as a normal bicycle, albeit only because law enforcement is ignorance the fact that it was ever a motor vehicle because it had never been registered. What the law never knows won't hurt you, but just not being caught doesn't make it actually legal.

But that aside, the principle stands - once a motor vehicle, always a motor vehicle, and simply removing a part of the motorised bit does not alter that legal designation. Removing bits of it, even removing the wheels, doesn't make it any less a motor vehicle in the eyes of the law - the only means of negating a motor vehicles status is for it to be scrapped beyond use by an accredited vehicle dismantler and the DVLA informed. That the rider of a dodgy ebike probably hasn't bothered to register it is neither here nor there - the only legal means by which it can then cease to be a motor vehicle is for it to be forfeited and destroyed in an approved manner, which is what the dibble do.

Last edited:
Pre 2016, or those that qualified under the old regulations.

There is no exemption for DIY kits. The person fitting the kit has to ensure that the bike complies with all current regulations.

Manufactured from January 2016 required type approval (although an individual test per ebike) but there was a grace period where such bikes could be sold up to the end of 2016 I believe. Selling at retail and manufacturing being two different dates of course and I believe the grace period was until the end of 2016, i.e. before 2017.

The link below provides information regarding the exemption for type approval for ebike kits with twist and go throttles. So that is the exemption for kits they can have working twist and go throttles as long as they also comply with other parts of the legislation where as a commercial prebuilt ebike must go through the type approval process like 'Pedibal' and 'Wisper' ebikes which have to be individually tested for compliance.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/

As stated before though the certification and legislation makes no sense as ebikes up to 900W are still sold as 250W and it looks like manufacturers are pushing the envelope and ebikes with peak output of over 1000W will still allowed to be 250W rated.

Tom B

Guru
Removing the battery alone won't make it any less a 'mechanically propelled vehicle' for the purposes of the law. You'd need to removed the motor, electrics, the while shooting match.

But it's unlikely in the extreme any copper would care if the battery was in your rucksack and you were pedalling merrily away.

This is essentially where I got to with my reasoning.

I first thought as SEP the DOG defines an MPV it would be okay as the vehicle isn't being powered by Electricity.

But then I reasoned that taking the petrol out of my car, or indeed turning off the engine and rolling down't big'ill at 60mph doesn't mean I don't need insurance etc

So yea it needs to be road legal.

But unless you are being a numpty nobody is going to care.... probably.

That said have a little innocuous bump at 2mph injuring someone might cause a world of pain.

Top Bottom