Hypothetical question regarding illegal Ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Just through curiosity it's got me thinking about the use of illegal Ebikes.
I make no excuses I've got one ,but I must stress I only use it on private land/estate with the owners permission.
It's a couple of miles though from where I live and was wondering how would I stand if I rode it to the private land along the public road with the battery taken off the bike and safely tucked away into my rucksack.
I have tried it along the road without the battery,and yes it's slow but not painfully slow.
Would this still be classed as illegal as I haven't got a clue to be honest.
If it is ok I would certainly use it more for short errands.
All the very best,
Johnny.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
You think you might get pulled over or attract attention for going painfully slow ? Me neither 🤣

If the battery is your rucksack / bag it’s only potentially an electric bike surely. No different to if I bought some batteries and wire in Halfords and biked home on my non electric bike…..

classic33

Leg End Member
Shouldn't be as the motor isn't capable of moving the bike on it's own.

Might raise other questions as to why you're using it without the battery.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
It's a strange one this
Thinking more on it ,I would be reasonably confident it's ok.
Pushing the grey area even further,can you ride an illegal Ebike with the battery fitted but turned off.
Surely there's got to be some defined law on this either way

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Hi,
Just through curiosity it's got me thinking about the use of illegal Ebikes.
I make no excuses I've got one ,but I must stress I only use it on private land/estate with the owners permission.
It's a couple of miles though from where I live and was wondering how would I stand if I rode it to the private land along the public road with the battery taken off the bike and safely tucked away into my rucksack.
I have tried it along the road without the battery,and yes it's slow but not painfully slow.
Would this still be classed as illegal as I haven't got a clue to be honest.
If it is ok I would certainly use it more for short errands.
All the very best,
Johnny.

If you had a car and decided not to tax it but leave it on the public road. I don’t think they’d let you get away with “It isn’t a car, as I’ve removed the battery”. Same with an e-bike.

You could of course push it the 2 miles.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you had a car and decided not to tax it but leave it on the public road. I don’t think they’d let you get away with “It isn’t a car, as I’ve removed the battery”. Same with an e-bike.

You could of course push it the 2 miles.
But if you pedal so that your speed is more than the 25kmh cutoff speed, they don't hold that against you.
And to date, in the UK, electric bikes do not require taxing. They're covered by the same legislation as battery powered electric cars. At least until next April.

The wording "capable of propelling" is the important wording.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@johnnyb47 if anyone cared there wouldn't be a gazillion of unchallenged Deliveroo riders on the roads and on the cycle paths.
Of course you could always insure, tax, number plate your wee motorbike, then you'd be legal even if none cares :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
Removing the battery alone won't make it any less a 'mechanically propelled vehicle' for the purposes of the law. You'd need to removed the motor, electrics, the while shooting match.

But it's unlikely in the extreme any copper would care if the battery was in your rucksack and you were pedalling merrily away.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@johnnyb47 if anyone cared there wouldn't be a gazillion of unchallenged Deliveroo riders on the roads and on the cycle paths.
Of course you could always insure, tax, number plate your wee motorbike, then you'd be legal even if none cares :whistle:
Yes very true.
In reality I could probably ride my bike around for many hundreds of miles without being challenged.
I often think if your riding an illegal Ebike sensibly and not flaunting it with crazy high speeds your chances of getting caught out are low.
On the other hand though,if you do have an accident or get your collar felt you could potentially pay a high high price for it.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Removing the battery alone won't make it any less a 'mechanically propelled vehicle' for the purposes of the law. You'd need to removed the motor, electrics, the while shooting match.

But it's unlikely in the extreme any copper would care if the battery was in your rucksack and you were pedalling merrily away.
Cheers @Drago
That's makes a lot of sense

Top Bottom