Hunt XC Spoke repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

Just found a broken spoke on front wheel (HUnt XC 29). Hunt sell spares but not confident I could effect a repair successfully as never done this before.

Should I trust the LBS, Halfords or someone else?

Hunt_XC_29 Spoke.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looks like you only need a new nipple. Also looks like it is aluminium, which imo is not the best material for the job and prone to fatigue failure as you have found. I would replace with a standard brass nipple, but you are likely to experience further failures from the other nipples in the future.

As Skol said, it is only the nipple and it is an easy home fix. You'll need a 3.2mm nipple spanner, a bit of oil and a piece of tape. The latter is to wrap a little flag around the spoke so you can see if it rotates whilst tightening. Oil the threads and screw on the new nipple from underneath the rim tape. Now tighten the nipple on the spoke, keeping an eye on the flag.

Since it is al disc brake wheel, absolute trueness is not essential. True the wheel in the (upside down) bike. Your aim is to have the spoke make a similar sound when plucked, to others on the same side of the wheel. Then it is tight enough.

Whilst tightening, keep an eye on the flag if it turns, overshoot your intended number of turns a bit and back off until the flag is back to its original position. There should be no residual twist in the spoke when you're finished.

The one disadvantage you have is that the wheel has very few spokes and therefore the tension is high, which is slightly more difficult to do. Nevertheless, give it a go. Use brass nipples and expect more to pop in the near future.

Big John

Guru
Is that a tubeless rim? If it is then good luck. Had one at work and couldn't even get a new spoke nipple in. Not saying this one is tubeless but if it is there's no access to the nipple holes. Has to be done using a magnet. What a faff.

figbat

Slippery scientist
As Skol said, it is only the nipple and it is an easy home fix. You'll need a 3.2mm nipple spanner, a bit of oil and a piece of tape. The latter is to wrap a little flag around the spoke so you can see if it rotates whilst tightening. Oil the threads and screw on the new nipple from underneath the rim tape. Now tighten the nipple on the spoke, keeping an eye on the flag.

Since it is al disc brake wheel, absolute trueness is not essential. True the wheel in the (upside down) bike. Your aim is to have the spoke make a similar sound when plucked, to others on the same side of the wheel. Then it is tight enough.

Whilst tightening, keep an eye on the flag if it turns, overshoot your intended number of turns a bit and back off until the flag is back to its original position. There should be no residual twist in the spoke when you're finished.

The one disadvantage you have is that the wheel has very few spokes and therefore the tension is high, which is slightly more difficult to do. Nevertheless, give it a go. Use brass nipples and expect more to pop in the near future.

And don't forget to try and fish the broken bit of nipple out of the rim.

Big John

Guru
Is that a tubeless rim? If it is then good luck. Had one at work and couldn't even get a new spoke nipple in. Not saying this one is tubeless but if it is there's no access to the nipple holes. Has to be done using a magnet. What a faff.

Looks like it's 'tubeless ready' and has rim tape instead of a metal band. You lucky devil 👍

Ajax Bay

Guru
so will take the wheel off and pop down to Halfords.
:rolleyes: Take the wheel off. Remove tyre and rim tape, remove broken head of nipple, unscrew remains of nipple still screwed on spoke, measure to determine how long a nipple you need, visit LBS ( I suppose Hal fords may have a single nipple) to buy one (brass), insert nipple in hole and screw onto spoke using screwdriver (see @Yellow Saddle comment above for gory detail), get tension the same (pluck note) as its peers, refit rim tape and tyre, inflate, reinstall and ride.
For bonus points: replace all the other fragile Al nipples with brass ones.
You're welcome.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Isn't Hunt supposed to be a premium make?
Does make you wonder why a brass nipple isn't fitted in the first place if the aluminum ones are prone to failure. The difference in cost must be small. I guess it's because they use or order so many thousand at a time and the aluminum nipples are x pence cheaper they use those. A very poor business decision when you think how this could hurt their reputation.

OP
OP
Emanresu

Emanresu

Isn't Hunt supposed to be a premium make?

That was my view but the bike builder (it was someone else's custom job) built it for lightness. It's only about 9kg in total. Have ordered a pack of spares and will check each one to see if some might need replaced prematurely. I use this bike for long distance touring so having spokes break in the middle of nowhere is not a fun idea.

Top Bottom