How many times do you patch an inner tube?

How many times do you patch an inner tube before throwing it away?

Votes: 11 32.4%

Votes: 4 11.8%

Votes: 2 5.9%

Votes: 3 8.8%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6+

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Tubeless

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
Zero. But i'm the only one 'brave' enough to admit so far ;)

I've neither the time or patience for faffing with any sort of road-side repair.

If this was a 'hair-washing' thread - i'd be a wash and go sort of guy......... :laugh:
(As you can see from my Avatar) ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

You're not alone. Patching would be my last resort. That is used two spare tubes I carry and unable to borrow one. That would mean four punctures on the same ride. Unlikely.

When I get home I simply can't be arsed.

I was going to the chippy one evening
The parking for it is at the back of the LBS
and I noticed a bunch of old tyres and inner tubes in their bin

I did think of rooting through and seeing if there was a tube or 2 that I could rescue and patch

he refuses to mend tube as the labour to do it would cost more than a new tube - but that does result in him chucking out repairable tubes!

decided not to as bin diving ina dodgy part of a town is not always a good look!!!
(funny how the best chippies are often in the dodgy parts of town!)

Sharky

Guru
As somebody who used to ride with tubulars and sufferred T+1 punctures (where T = no of spare tubs carried), and sat by the roadside with my razor blade, needle and wax thread repairing the puncture. The task of repairing punctures at the road side with clinchers & tubes holds no fear.

When I puncture, I always try and find the cause and location and once found, with a repair kit in hand, I would slap a patch on it and repair it. I would then re-fit the repaired tube and continue the ride. My good tubes would be saved for another occasion and just in case I hadn't identified the cause correctly and suffered a secondary pucnture after a few miles.

Last edited:

DogmaStu

As somebody who used to ride with tubulars and sufferred T+1 punctures (where T = no of spare tubs carried), and sat by the roadside with my razor blade, needle and wax thread repairing the puncture. The task of repairing punctures at the road side with clinchers & tubes holds no fear.

When I puncture, I always try and find the cause and location and once found, with a repair kit in hand, I would slap a patch on it and repair it. I would then re-fit the repaired tube and continue the ride. My good tubes would be saved for another occasion and just in case I hadn't identified the cause correctly and suffered a secondary pucnture after a few miles.

I remember those days! :laugh:

In 1989 - 1991 (ish) a local Pro gifted me his 'old' tubs but they had plenty of life left, he got new ones regularly. I managed to get hold of a good set of rims and built my own wheels.

So happy.

Until I got my first puncture. ^_^I patched those things many times, unstitching, patching, sewing.

I stopped patching tubes when I switched to tubeless.

DSC_0839.JPG

Top Bottom