How many times do you patch an inner tube?

How many times do you patch an inner tube before throwing it away?

Votes: 11 32.4%

Votes: 4 11.8%

Votes: 2 5.9%

Votes: 3 8.8%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6+

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Tubeless

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
Weird flat tyre which seemed to have been caused by the hot temps causing at least one of the patches to become unglued. On inspection I realised this had 5 patches on it altogether, and so just replaced it.

As a utility/commuter cyclist it's a balance between having a trustworthy ride ready every day, and expense. A tube isn't that much, but I get a few punctures a year I guess, so it mounts up.

Normally I'll replace tube if I'm riding and then try to remember to patch in comfortable conditions at home.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Patch it.As long as not on top of another patch it’s good as new.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I'm assuming you don't mean self-adhesive ones.

I don’t

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Zero. But i'm the only one 'brave' enough to admit so far ;)

I've neither the time or patience for faffing with any sort of road-side repair.

If this was a 'hair-washing' thread - i'd be a wash and go sort of guy......... :laugh:
(As you can see from my Avatar) ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Alex321

Guru
Zero. But i'm the only one 'brave' enough to admit so far ;)

I've neither the time or patience for faffing with any sort of road-side repair.

If this was a 'hair-washing' thread - i'd be a wash and go sort of guy......... :laugh:
(As you can see from my Avatar) ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

This isn't about roadside repairs. I only ever patch at the roadside if I have already used the spare tube I carry, and got another puncture.

But after replacing the tube while out, I will then patch the puncture when I get home, then keep that tube as the spare.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
This isn't about roadside repairs. I only ever patch at the roadside if I have already used the spare tube I carry, and got another puncture.

But after replacing the tube while out, I will then patch the puncture when I get home, then keep that tube as the spare.

I have repaired. Depends where my stocks of tubes / spares stash sits. But only to arrive at the same situation as you; of using the patched tube as a 'spare' of some sort.

But wasteful as it is (*I presume tubes do get recycled....uses alot of Energy to do so however i'm sure) it's not currently on my radar to repair roadside. Or in the comfort of my own home.. Or anywhere else for that matter....

a.twiddler

Veteran
Depends where the hole is. If it's a straightforward repair, fair enough. Having recumbents with hub gears, it's easier to patch it with the wheel in place if it punctures on the road, if you can find the cause of the puncture easily. My previous strategy would have been to fit a spare tube, and patch at home. There's a certain feeling of virtue in re using something that you've fixed yourself, but once it has more than a few the increased chances of a patch failing outweigh the peace of mind that carrying a new unused tube gives.

Top Bottom