Holdsworth Criterium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Just rescued this what I am led to believe could be a Holdsworth Criterium but something is not adding up .

What does the cc crowd think .

Never seen a date code on a Holdsworth bottom bracket shell .
Rear stay to seat cluster not what I would expect.
Benotto pantograph on fork crown .

Can't ask the owner as he sadly passed away about 6 months ago.

IMG_20240803_165419.jpg

IMG_20240803_170711.jpg

IMG_20240803_170733.jpg

IMG_20240803_170839.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240803_170844.jpg
    IMG_20240803_170844.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240803_170724.jpg
    IMG_20240803_170724.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 21

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just going on the colour, the front fork is possibly a replacement, and there is a lack of decals which might mean it could be anything.
Other than that it is a good looking bike.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Just going on the colour, the front fork is possibly a replacement, and there is a lack of decals which might mean it could be anything.
Other than that it is a good looking bike.

Forks are Benotto pantographed on the crown so presumably replacements but not checked for any markings IE number stamping .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Been looking at the bottom bracket stamping what I first read as 10-87 looks more like LB-01

Holdsworth sticker type head badge and Criterium sticker front end of top tube non drive side

IMG_20240803_165419.jpg

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I have seen and ridden a number of Holdsworths but I do not think this is one of them. The seat cluster is unlike any Holdsworth I know of, as is the chain-stay bridge. The front pump fixing is also unusual but could be a later addition. The under-bracket and under-stay cable runs are unusual but could also be individually specified on a custom frame. Overall, looks like a good classic frame with plenty of life left in it so, no matter what its origin, maintain and enjoy. A positive bike in any collection.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Are those numbers raised or stamped? They look raised from here !

Numbers are raised

Short type lugs

IMG_20240804_085246.jpg

IMG_20240804_085241.jpg

I have seen and ridden a number of Holdsworths but I do not think this is one of them. The seat cluster is unlike any Holdsworth I know of, as is the chain-stay bridge. The front pump fixing is also unusual but could be a later addition. The under-bracket and under-stay cable runs are unusual but could also be individually specified on a custom frame. Overall, looks like a good classic frame with plenty of life left in it so, no matter what its origin, maintain and enjoy. A positive bike in any collection.

Totally agree, I think and only think forks are not original to frame IE colour , pantographed and also front and rear hubs and rims are different and the old boy who's bike it was was a stickler for details.

Takes a 27.2 post and bottom bracket shell is English

Strange way to finish the top of the rear stays. Looks like the designer knocked off early that day!

They look more like a 50's style bike imho .

Have actually managed to get the seat post out and lifted up to max insertion markings and had a gentle ride around the block rides nice considering shame about the 7 speed corncob.

Numbers are raised

Short type lugs

View attachment 739814

View attachment 739815

Totally agree, I think and only think forks are not original to frame IE colour , pantographed and also front and rear hubs and rims are different and the old boy who's bike it was was a stickler for details.

Takes a 27.2 post and bottom bracket shell is English

They look more like a 50's style bike imho .

Have actually managed to get the seat post out and lifted up to max insertion markings and had a gentle ride around the block rides nice considering shame about the 7 speed corncob.

The raised numbers are strange! Not easy like stamping! A low number so not a Taiwanese frame badged up.

Top Bottom