Hills I can play on round South Brum / North Worcestershire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
Haha.
Weather hasn't been permitting for years !. Infact yesterday around Clent way was Black Ice, not nice at all. Ended up going home down the Main Road

D

Deleted member 1258

Haha.
Weather hasn't been permitting for years !. Infact yesterday around Clent way was Black Ice, not nice at all. Ended up going home down the Main Road

I did 56 miles yesterday, the frost and frozen puddles had gone inside an hour.

Reding this thread has brought back many happy memories. I used to live at Lickey which meant anyway home was uphill! I used to attack Rose Hill by using the track that went up past the Church and on to Twatling Road. Another interesting ride was along Alvechurch Highway. Used to live in Blackwell to, so knew Greehill very well. My Dad, tells me he on his way back from school in Bromsgrove used to wait for the Midland Red service 145 at Burcot and as the bus was grinding up Greenhill, he would be right behind it holding on to the emergency exit door handle at the back of the bus, remembering to let go just as the bus got to the Methodist church at the top. Perhaps it's because of these hills I don't find the Borders hills too daunting.

D

Deleted member 1258

What time was that ? I was out about 9am

I was out about a quarter to Nine, rode over to the Market Bosworth Battlefield by the scenic route, then a more direct route home, got back about half One.

ShipHill

I've done Rose Hill. I say "done". I mean I got up it in 3 stints with 2 breathers.
Money lane up to Romsley then onto Halesowen is a toughy which I did via the conveniently placed Manchester Inn for a drink and rest.

I would avoid Mucklow Hill for reasons already mentioned on this thread.

There is a hill near Barnt Green called Fiery Hill Road which I've been down but not tackled up yet. It's steep and links up nicely with Rose Hill.

So you could go up one then down the other as it were.

Downward

Guru
I've done Rose Hill. I say "done". I mean I got up it in 3 stints with 2 breathers.
Money lane up to Romsley then onto Halesowen is a toughy which I did via the conveniently placed Manchester Inn for a drink and rest.

I would avoid Mucklow Hill for reasons already mentioned on this thread.

There is a hill near Barnt Green called Fiery Hill Road which I've been down but not tackled up yet. It's steep and links up nicely with Rose Hill.

So you could go up one then down the other as it were.

Just knocked 19 seconds off my best time up Mucklow Hill this morning - Whohoo. Was catching the guy infront to the island and then he just pulled away !

ShipHill

Just knocked 19 seconds off my best time up Mucklow Hill this morning - Whohoo. Was catching the guy infront to the island and then he just pulled away !
Fair play to you mate. Coming down it would be dicey though I reckon. I managed to get up Quarry Bank High Street once too. Now that was tough.

Downward

Guru
Still well over 2 minutes behind the KOM. How people get up there so fast I don't know.

The roads are so bumpy descending any hill is horrible currently,

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Rose hill has been resurfaced so descending it is now a real dream. If you want a challenge but would prefer to avoid Mucklow but need to get up into Halesowen, go up Coombs Road and Gorsty Hill Road. IMHO it's a nastier climb as it has a real steep section about half way which hits about 17% and should really test your legs (I'm 8th BTW ^_^):

http://app.strava.com/segments/773604

D

Deleted member 1258

We were in the area this morning in the car, in Rednal at Bristol Rd Cars, called in at the Lickey Hills Visitor Centre for a coffee and a sandwich on the way back, turned right on the roundabout and gave our old KA a workout up Rose Hill.

Top Bottom