Hi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jools

My dh bought me a hybrid bike for a birthday present a couple of years ago. I got really into cycling and then bought myself a road bike. (I really do understand n+1!!) I decided to get clipless pedals and shoes and although very careful unfortunately took a tumble last summer and lost my confidence (I wasn't even going fast but ouch did I bruise). I am determined to get back into cycling though as I wanted to join a club to cycle with others and keep fit. I've signed up to a Ride-the-Night 100km charity bike ride round London in May to re-motivate me to cycle again. I've been doing most of my training indoors on a trainer but have ventured out on my hybrid recently. I'm not sure yet which bike I'll be riding for the event yet - or which pedals!

I'm really glad to have found CycleChat and have to admit to reading the contributions for sometime before joining. I've read and taken heed of loads of great practical advice and love the humour too!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Welcome aboard, hope your training continues to go well, its great to have a target to aim for.
To be honest (and I'm probably going to get shot down in flames here !) I would not worry about about the pedals too much. I left it way to late before I bought a road bike for RideLondon last year. It came with toeclips, I did not fancy learning to ride with any thing more advanced so I used these and was perfectly happy with them over the 100 miles.
The main thing is to get out and enjoy your rides.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've signed up to a Ride-the-Night 100km charity bike ride round London in May to re-motivate me to cycle again. I've been doing most of my training indoors on a trainer but have ventured out on my hybrid recently. I'm not sure yet which bike I'll be riding for the event yet - or which pedals!
Hi. A new rider on the snowdrops ride yesterday has signed up to Ride-the-Night London. I think the route isn't that harsh, is it? Good luck with it!

20+ years after giving up the clips (because of the risk of unnecessary falls where I could injure myself - I dislike injury more than I like the effects of pulling up on pedals), I still don't get the attraction of clipping in and I'm surprised so many non-racers/MTBers are still told to do it. Much junk is written about it. Do it if you like, but don't feel you have to - there are some lovely grippy rubber pedals around.

I was going to point you in the direction of https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/women-v-cancer-ride-the-night-2016.195435 but I see you found it.

It's a very flat, you should be fine.

As for coming off with clipless pedals? It's a rite-of-passage https://www.cyclechat.net/search/7144347/?q=clipless+moment&o=relevance It's a pity you didn't get straight back on. Now you should take your bike to a park with a nice flat stretch of paved footpath, wait for it to be clear of all hazards and go for a gentle ride. Clip/unclip/clip/unclip. Repeat until you are bored. Make sure there is a grass you can ride into in an emergency, but that's only for your confidence. You won't need it.

I now have clipless-less moments: I've got pedals that are flat on one side, and if I go on trainer I end up not moving when the lights change to green, because I try to pull up on my pedal :whistle:

Top Bottom