Hi from wettest Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Seems like a healthy Welsh contingent here! I live just outside Haverfordwest, moved here with work in 1990 and haven't been able to leave. Know what you mean about growing gills though. At least the rain is warmer in summer. I was brought up in Leeds (and still think of Yorkshire as home) but I went to Uni in Bangor and holidayed here many times as an adult, so I feel quite at home here.

I am currently rebuilding the Amazon. It was a decent mid-priced MTB in 1992 when I got it, but obviously today is it an archaeological item. It has been taken to France and thrashed round cycle tracks more times than I can remember, and done good service as a hack bike in the UK. It's hardly needed any attention in that time, but now I have a better bike I have it in the shed on a stand, and I am gradually giving it a proper dismantle, clean and lube. It deserves it, as it has been utterly dependable for 23 years, and still has a lot of life left in it. Does anyone else get stupidly fond of older machinery?

john59

Guru
:welcome:

Salar

A fish out of water
Hi Richard,

You are just down the road from me.

I'm a bit of a retrobiker tinkerer and have a soft spot for 1980's MTB's. I used to MTB a lot with my son, riding Marins, Konas etc.

I just recently sold a Muddy Fox Courier which was slightly too small, one of the first classics and now have a Specialized Rockhopper Comp circa 1988 en route to me.

I find old Raleighs quite easy to work on.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Seems like a healthy Welsh contingent here! I live just outside Haverfordwest, moved here with work in 1990 and haven't been able to leave. Know what you mean about growing gills though. At least the rain is warmer in summer. I was brought up in Leeds (and still think of Yorkshire as home) but I went to Uni in Bangor and holidayed here many times as an adult, so I feel quite at home here.

I am currently rebuilding the Amazon. It was a decent mid-priced MTB in 1992 when I got it, but obviously today is it an archaeological item. It has been taken to France and thrashed round cycle tracks more times than I can remember, and done good service as a hack bike in the UK. It's hardly needed any attention in that time, but now I have a better bike I have it in the shed on a stand, and I am gradually giving it a proper dismantle, clean and lube. It deserves it, as it has been utterly dependable for 23 years, and still has a lot of life left in it. Does anyone else get stupidly fond of older machinery?
Yep.:becool:

MattNismo

Hello there and welcome from Atlanta, GA! Really great story. Thanks a lot for sharing.

P.S. A few months back my uncle also bought an e-bike and now he is truly glad with it.

Welcome to CC

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Your thread title reminds me of my LBS man (that's Local Bike Shop, BTW) when I was kitting up for my first ever tour of N Wales, aged maybe 12-ish: "You know what they say about Wales, don't you?" he said cheerily, "When you can't see the mountains, it's raining; and when you can see the mountains, it's about to rain." Welcome.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Your thread title reminds me of my LBS man (that's Local Bike Shop, BTW) when I was kitting up for my first ever tour of N Wales, aged maybe 12-ish: "You know what they say about Wales, don't you?" he said cheerily, "When you can't see the mountains, it's raining; and when you can see the mountains, it's about to rain." Welcome.
My favourite: you can always tell when it's summer in Wales, because the rain is warmer.

Top Bottom