Hi from Silverdale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobWard

Hi folks, neewb here. Only took up the cycling again at 46 after a long stretch out. Joining this forum for some tips and tricks to help me along my journey to keep fit. I use the app "MapMyRide" between that app and my bike, thats all I know at the moment.
At Present I am using a cheap Raleigh Hybrid bike, But looking to upgrade to a Cannondale CX.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, Silverdale is a very nice place, BUT, for a newbie like myself, it is very trying on the hills, Especially when as soon as I leave the house I am faced with a hill lol.

Saying that though, I have only had 6 rides since I started the past few weeks and finally smashed my 10 mile goal! I left Silverdale and headed towards Carnforth, jumped on the cycle route and came out at Hest Bank (mini roundabout) Which to my surprise put me on the canal route to Lancaster. The weather was on my side so I went for it. Came out in Lancaster center. Gave myself a pat on the back and got the train back home lol.
Didnt want to over do it. But now wanting to go out again, Only problem is, Time is never on my side, I am even thinking of getting a cycle machine for the spare room to keep my foot in now the dark nights and winter is fast approaching.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If you get to Warton and then join the A6 near the roundabout where the A6070 leaves it, the A6 from there to Milnthorpe is quite cycle-friendly - being wide enough most of the way for cars to pass you easily, and most of the through traffic is on the M6. And no hills to speak of.There are some reasonably un-hilly routes back to Silverdale from Milnthorpe.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Yes, Silverdale is a very nice place, BUT, for a newbie like myself, it is very trying on the hills, Especially when as soon as I leave the house I am faced with a hill lol.

Yes it is heavy on the hills... but they're not the huge never ending struggles that i dread. Plenty of short sharp climbs and not enough downhill as a reward. I just take it easy, stick to my lowest gears and enjoy the scenery... i often end up having a 'breather' in the Fighting Cocks at Arnside (one of my favourite beer gardens) and get the train back to Lancaster.

My favourite ride so far this year was getting the train up to Ulverston and following the Bay Cycleway back to Lanc. The glory of that route ends at Warton (Carnforth, the canal, the prom and cycle track to Lancaster is too flat too familiar and too boring).... maybe that'd be something to build up to for spring?

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

There are some reasonably un-hilly routes back to Silverdale from Milnthorpe.

Where?! From Milnthorpe you can only take Arnside or Betham. My car just about gets up the hill at Betham, Slack Head Road lol
Arnside road is pretty flat until you get to the fighting cock pub. Then you have the steep climb. Did that the other week, walked that bit lol

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
This is probably the route you are thinking of from Milnthorpe:
upload_2016-9-26_19-55-53.png

You can knock a fair bit of climbing off it by not going as far as the sea front at Arnside (note the height scale on the elevation here goes only half as high as the one with the map above):
(OK, it's not flat, but it's less effort than tackling the hills out of Arnside or out of Beetham - when you can do those you know you're improving!)
upload_2016-9-26_19-54-27.png

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Where?! From Milnthorpe you can only take Arnside or Betham. My car just about gets up the hill at Betham, Slack Head Road lol
Arnside road is pretty flat until you get to the fighting cock pub. Then you have the steep climb. Did that the other week, walked that bit lol
the more you do it the easier* it gets... honestly.

*easier isn't the right word, less arduous, maybe.

Bariton

I recently did a circuit from Morecambe through Crag Bank (I think this is where you meant when you said Hest Bank Rob) Silverdale, Arnside for a brew, towards Milnthorpe but turn right into Dallam Park, then down the A6, quick stop at Cinderbarrow picnic site, back to Carnforth and Morecambe. The hills around Silverdale and Arnside were a challenge for me as a new rider too, but they were relatively short and sharp. I plan to do that run again soon, and hopefully my fitness will have improved and I will improve my times.

Rob, in a month or two those mountains will become short sprints for newbies like us :becool:

Top Bottom