Hi From HK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The thing with road cycling in HK is there is always so much traffic on the roads and quite often a sea of taxi cabs, some of which whose drivers would make great rally drivers.

There are segregated cycle paths in HK which is great for getting around locally though.

Im based in Tsing Yi when i go for my visits

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I often see the mountain bikers when out hiking on Lantau or around Sai Kung. If I ever find myself running short of adrenaline (e.g. If unclipping SPDs ever becomes ho-hum) then I might just have to give MTBs a try.

One small issue here is Hong Kong flat sizes: not so good for the n+1 rule!

Welcome

I fairly often visit HK and one time this year I had a free day so went to Lantau and hired a MTB. Here's the link to my report

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-4347990

OP
OP
M

MovingViolation

Regular
Welcome

I fairly often visit HK and one time this year I had a free day so went to Lantau and hired a MTB. Here's the link to my report

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-4347990

Thanks!

I must get around to the Friendly Bike Shop (that's really its name) in Mui Wo (where you got off the ferry in Lantau) and try a MTB hire sometime -- never ridden one yet.

Where you went that day is a hike over the mountain from where I live. So I often go past that waterfall on the downhill final leg heading toward a well-earned unhealthy pub lunch or dinner down by the ferry pier.

Pretty sure that if you headed out of Mui Wo in the other direction you'd find some proper MTB-worthy trails and not just the concrete paths... but best done in Autumn/Spring/Winter and not Summer for sure!

Last edited:
Thanks!

I must get around to the Friendly Bike Shop (that's really its name) in Mui Wo (where you got off the ferry in Lantau) and try a MTB hire sometime -- never ridden one yet.

Where you went that day is a hike over the mountain from where I live. So I often go past that waterfall on the downhill final leg heading toward a well-earned unhealthy pub lunch or dinner down by the ferry pier.

Pretty sure that if you headed out of Mui Wo in the other direction you'd find some proper MTB-worthy trails and not just the concrete paths... but best done in Autumn/Spring/Winter and not Summer for sure!
Thats right sunset peak and Lantau peak are well worth the effort but only this time if year!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks!

I carried on past the waterfall but the path gets increasingly steep in places. It was over 30 and extremely humid and I only had one bottle of water with me so it seemed a bit reckless to keep going. So I turned around and tootled around Silvermine Bay area It would be good to have another go when I'm there in the winter I think

OP
OP
M

MovingViolation

Regular
I carried on past the waterfall but the path gets increasingly steep in places. It was over 30 and extremely humid and I only had one bottle of water with me so it seemed a bit reckless to keep going. So I turned around and tootled around Silvermine Bay area It would be good to have another go when I'm there in the winter I think

I've hiked those trails many times, but since have only taken up cycling recently, haven't really done so with a cyclist's eye. Having said that, once you get up the steep part of the Olympic Trail (concrete path going past the waterfall) which ends a bit after the actual Silver Mine caves, then the gradient becomes more tractable. Keep going and you could ride the Olympic Trail down to Pak Mong Village on the other side of Lantau -- leaving you with the small matter of somehow getting back over the hump to Mui Wo to drop off the bike at the shop. Or you could throw a right up top and cycle off concrete at least part of the way along the hiking trail toward Tiger's Head (Lo Fu Tau) ... pretty sure a MTB could get as far as the back of Discovery Bay Golf Course. (I'm not clear on the legality of MTBing off the Olympic Trail - would certainly need a permit if allowed at all).

The climate's really something in summer. With hikes, I tend to figure out where I want to end up, how long it will take me to get there, and then work backward from end of Civil Twilight to pick my starting out time. Wouldn't be keen to be out in the midday sun for sure.

Top Bottom