Hi From HK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MovingViolation

Regular
Hi Everyone!

Got bitten by the cycling bug two months ago and now find myself the proud owner of two folders (Brompton S and Tern Verge X20). I've been having a ball - except for the bit where I had a few mishaps after changing over to SPD pedals on the Verge :biggrin:. Now thinking what to buy next: a 'real' road bike or a Moulton. Decisions, decisions!

Salar

A fish out of water
Hi and Welcome :welcome:

I worked on and off in HK in the mid 90's. You must be brave riding on those roads, however the wilder parts of the New Territories, now that's different.

OP
OP
M

MovingViolation

Regular
Hi and Welcome :welcome:

I worked on and off in HK in the mid 90's. You must be brave riding on those roads, however the wilder parts of the New Territories, now that's different.

Thanks!

Not brave at all yet. No way would I feel confident about cycling on Hong Kong Island at this stage!

I live in Discovery Bay on Lantau Island where there are a lot of traffic restrictions. Eventually going to head out and try some of the roads in the rest of Lantau. Also some pretty OK cycle paths in other parts of the New Territories.

OP
OP
M

MovingViolation

Regular
Hi and welcome, mainly MTB when i was out there and Nov to Feb are lovely months for cycling. I am still the proud owner of the Cannondale M500 i bought in Mongkok in 1995!

I often see the mountain bikers when out hiking on Lantau or around Sai Kung. If I ever find myself running short of adrenaline (e.g. If unclipping SPDs ever becomes ho-hum) then I might just have to give MTBs a try.

One small issue here is Hong Kong flat sizes: not so good for the n+1 rule!

OP
OP
M

MovingViolation

Regular
I saw lots of things in Mongkok in 95-96, but no bike shops^_^
Nowadays there's an app for that! ^_^

Salar

A fish out of water
Discovery Bay, very nice.

Some of my time was spent working on Chek Lap Kok airport, before the bridges were built, used to cross over on a rickety boat from the mainland, think it was Pillar Point beside some large blocks of flats close to the train station.

OP
OP
M

MovingViolation

Regular
Discovery Bay, very nice.

Some of my time was spent working on Chek Lap Kok airport, before the bridges were built, used to cross over on a rickety boat from the mainland, think it was Pillar Point beside some large blocks of flats close to the train station.

Pillar Point rang a bell, but couldn't place it. Then did a google and realised that the name used to crop up a lot back when because there was a VN Refugee Camp there.

Chek Lap Kok looks like a construction site again thanks to the Hong Kong-Macau-Zhuhai Bridge, another bridge from Tuen Mun, terminal expansions, and soon another runway reclamation. Glad I'm not a Pink Dolphin :smile:

I was in Hong Kong in the 90s (happy times!) too, and then left. Returned again a few years ago.

Salar

A fish out of water
I enjoyed my visits in the mid 90's, worked on a few construction projects and temporary accommodation blocks.

Did enjoy the Aussie and Irish bars and could never understand how the locals raved about the newly opened McDonalds!!

Top Bottom