Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vinersinglespeed

Good afternoon fellow bicycle enthusiasts. My name's Henry and I have recently acquired an old racer, viner, which i was looking to transform into a single speed bike to get me out and about.....However I know nothing about bicycles, so was after some advice from people who actually know a thing or two.

My first job is to remove everything attached to the frame so I can rub down and re spray....then once that's done I can start the rebuild.
20181205_131848.jpg
20181205_133759.jpg

Already having a problem getting the pedals off?? Pictures attached. Can anyone tell me equipment that I will need?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Henry

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You need either a 14mm box spanner or a thin wall socket to get the retaining bolt out then a 'crank puller tool' to remove the crankset.

If you have a friendly local bike shop just pop the frame there and they will probably take it off for you. No need for the extractor tool to put it back on.

If you think this may be the start of a new hobby then it is probably worth it, in the long term, investing in the tools.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And if you're looking to take the bottom bracket (BB) out (the axle between the cranks and the bearings that support it) then you'll probably need the right BB tool(s), so you might as well buy them at the same time. Unless someone knows the bike type well, pics would be needed to make a decent guess, but it'll be difficult to picture the one behind the chainring until you remove the cranks.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Yeah, that paint looks ok! Probably no need to take the BB out unless you want to give it a service. I would just use a bit of rubbing compound to give that frame a spruce up. It will only be original once! (If that is the original paint of course)

I think I'd be doing a fitup of all of the bits before refinishing the frame as it's bound to get scratched as you're working out the problems.

A couple of things to think about.:
Your frame is designed for derailleur gears, so the dropouts in the frame only allow the wheel to be in one position, as the chain tension is taken care of by the derailleur. Normally a fixed gear bike, of a hub geared bike, has slots in the frame so the wheel can be moved back and forth to set the chain tension. You could use a derailleur for that, or you can get little chain tensioner thingies that have only one jockey wheel.
You are going to have to think about chainline and as it's not clear if you have any wheels yet, I'll leave it at that.

Have a look at what Sheldon had to say:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think I'd be doing a fitup of all of the bits before refinishing the frame as it's bound to get scratched as you're working out the problems.

A couple of things to think about.:
Your frame is designed for derailleur gears, so the dropouts in the frame only allow the wheel to be in one position...

That frame has long road drop-outs, so enough adjustment for fixed or single-speed. Newer frames mostly have vertical drop-outs as you say.

Agree they are not vertical so some wheel adjustment will be possible, whether there is enough remains to be seen. I don't know if those type of dropouts were designed for varying wheel position though in the event a non-derailleur hub was fitted? Limited wheel movement may mean messing about with half-links. The tensioner is still an alternative. All good reasons for a trial fitup just to get everything set up properly.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
@Vinersinglespeed that's a nice looking frame to start with .
The way the market is at the moment you can pick up a complete single speed bike for what it's likely to cost to build yours up so that would be my advice .
Where are based as there could a fellow cc'er who might offer to help you .
What ever you decide to do keep us informed and er welcome aboard this great fishing forum ^_^

midlife

Guru
Cracking looking frame, over BB cables and design makes it late 70's to mid 80's. Any more pics of the frame, rear dropouts, lugs? Decals look later than the frame which could be a Record with chrome fork crown :smile:

Top Bottom