Helmets: Should you wear one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
Yes, and yes...

:blush: oops ... I meant yes, and no... (yes = I wear one for commuting, or when cycling with the children, but not generally for touring).

Andy

gavintc

Guru
I wear one most of the time. Perhaps on a hot steep climb, I will hang it from the bars. However, I do not believe in compulsory use as I strongly believe it will reduce cycling. We need more kids to use bikes to see them as an easy convenient method of getting around, having fun etc. Putting a helmet barrier, will IMO put some of them off cycling.

Mrs B insists I wear one for commuting. As an observation only, most of the commuting cyclists I see do wear helmets. Whether this is because they feel more at risk while commuting than when cycling recreationally, who knows.

Personally, I've come to believe people should have the choice.

(That's it - my one and only post about helmets on this forum! :blush: )

Cab

Administrator said:
Do you wear a helmet?

Yes, usually. Where else would I put my camera?

Should they be made compulsory?

No. You'd get a lot of lives saved (more I should think) by making motorists wear crash helmets, by making pedestrians wear helmets and bright coloured clothing, and by painting all cars dayglo yellow. None of these are on the agenda, why is it that the cycle helmet thing keeps cropping up?

SamNichols

Personally I wear one most of the time, it makes me feel a bit safer, and saves my hair flapping around my face. I do, however, often go out without one, and wear a cap. Having been hit by a car when riding home from school, when I was thirteen, I tend to be a bit wary.

my hair flapping around my face

Don't worry - in time, like me, you may not need a helmet for that reason at least!

:blush:

Jaded

Almost never. The noise affects my safety as I can't hear traffic, the weight affects my neck and the sweat gets in my eyes. Also I feel invincible.

I'd wear one and I'd agree with compulsion if it could be categorically demonstrated that they worked AND that there was no population-wide effect on cycling levels health.

i wear one depending which club i ride with but not when it's hot and sunny. the wind noise made by the helmet ( a ridiculously expensive one)makes it impossible to carry out a conversation and difficult to hear cars coming up. more often than not i use a baseball cap to stop the flys getting in my eyes.
use should be down to personal choice.

SamNichols

beanzontoast][quote said:
my hair flapping around my face

Don't worry - in time, like me, you may not need a helmet for that reason at least!

:blush:[/quote]

I do worry about that. Luckily all of my family have had full heads of hair for multiple generations, so I guess I shall be okay.

littlered

I dont wear my helmet when cycling to work (takes 5-10 mins) but do put it on when going out for a longer journey :eek:

yenrod

>Do you wear a helmet? Should they be made compulsory?

I wear one for training etc..ridng work, if I do :blush:

But for shopping trips / going friends etc...NO.

It wouldn't bother me if they were made compulory...

As it'd help me just like the smoking ban is helping smokers :eek:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
For riding in groups or TTs I do, although I suspect my bare head would be more aerodynamic in the latter case (that said, sometimes I forget it and I don't seem to go any quicker)

I generally don't for commuting, but do when it snows or is icy, never for touring (a rare event for me, still..), never for quick trips around town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom