Helmet buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Legendary Member
The born on date is a guide, hut not the end of the matter. The 3 or 5 year lifespan begins once a lid is removed from its box and in use.

That's interesting, my boss is quite sure the ones we get have to have a maker's date sticker on them and it's 3 or 5 years from that date, not from being out of the box.

That (hopefully) means it should be easier and cheaper to buy helmets. Do you happen to know if there's any online guides (or whatever) that point to it being after the helmet has been removed from the box and used, please?

I'm not doubting what you said, I hasten to add, but if there's some sort of official guide it'd be really helpful.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, much appreciated.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
That's interesting, my boss is quite sure the ones we get have to have a maker's date sticker on them and it's 3 or 5 years from that date, not from being out of the box.

That (hopefully) means it should be easier and cheaper to buy helmets. Do you happen to know if there's any online guides (or whatever) that point to it being after the helmet has been removed from the box and used, please?

I'm not doubting what you said, I hasten to add, but if there's some sort of official guide it'd be really helpful.

I think I would just tell your boss to sort it all out themselves as they have such specific requirements tbh.
Sounds like they being pedantic with all this. I think they are being stupid. The ones in the U.K have to comply with U.K safety standards full stop.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I'd be asking Planet X if they can also supply some 2024 makers date stickers as well.....

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Sounds like your boss needs you to go round the local physical bike shops and find helmets with the dates he needs. You’re not going to get that online unless you buy models released this year.

Also how many times do your helmets get used before retirement? Should be in the equipment records you’ll be keeping.

P.S. How many helmets are you talking about?

What does your boss know about helmet 'best before' dates that we don't? I've sold and fitted thousands of helmets over the years. Not a single one of those customers ever raised the issue of the helmet's manuf date.

Drago

Legendary Member

Your boss is being silly. Stored in the factory packaging in a benign environment (not a boiler room or flooded basement, for example) they will not degrade. They will not degrade because the materials used are synthetic and do not simply fail with the passage time alone.

They do not start their useful life until the day they are taken out the box and pressed into service. Only then will they be subject to knocks, abrasions, UV exposure and chemical and moisture attack.

The born on date is indicative of the date the helmet was manufactured and not a single other thing.

Tell him Drago and Mickle said to stop being a tit and he'll soon buck his ideas up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll most likely find any Helmet from Planet X are quite new these days. They sell loads - I've got four. They are cheap (usually in a sale), do the job, and you'll not break the bank if one get's damaged and has to be binned. I've a very expensive Bell helmet that I'm a bit precious about, as it was so blooming costly. Happy to headbutt branches etc with the cheap ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom