Hello from Oxford, UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felix79

Hi all!

I have decided that I wanted to really get myself much fitter (and slimmer), after years of problems relating to my back. Finally last year it was sorted out enough that I was able to slowly claw back my fitness level and get active again. I got myself a great deal on a Cannondale CAAD8 (I had always dreamt of owning a Cannondale as a teenager in the 90's!) , and yesterday I finally was able to get on the bike (well any type of bike) for the first time since 2001!

Going to take things really slow as I work on getting my basic fitness level up and I hope to one day get involved with one of the clubs local to me. Luckily living in Oxford means it's a very cycle friendly place, which will make things much easier in the long run.

Anyway, this is me saying hello to all!

Felix aka Dan

rugby bloke

Veteran
Hello and welcome. Enjoy your cycling, but be careful, its addictive !

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Hello and welcome. Enjoy your cycling, but be careful, it's addictive !

Good job I have an addictive personality!

I use to cycle so much when I was younger and really enjoyed the nice country roads in and around Oxford/Oxfordshire. I only did a quick 3 min jolt up and down the road, which managed to make me realise how much work ahead of me I have, but also just how damn fit I was back then. I do admit it was really good fun putting the bike together with my old man yesterday and I managed to find all of our old bike tools which made life so much easier.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

I use to cycle so much when I was younger and really enjoyed the nice country roads in and around Oxford/Oxfordshire. I only did a quick 3 min jolt up and down the road, which managed to make me realise how much work ahead of me I have, but also just how damn fit I was back then. I do admit it was really good fun putting the bike together with my old man yesterday and I managed to find all of our old bike tools which made life so much easier.

Which bit of Oxfordshire do you live?

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Which bit of Oxfordshire do you live?

I live in Headington, in the new houses (well the ones from the early 90's) they built by the Churchill and Warnford hospitals.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's

I use to cycle so much when I was younger and really enjoyed the nice country roads in and around Oxford/Oxfordshire. I only did a quick 3 min jolt up and down the road, which managed to make me realise how much work ahead of me I have, but also just how damn fit I was back then.e

there is no rush

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Ah yes, I know there's a few of us here from Oxfordshire, I'm near Didcot.

Not too far away. I'm really pleased to hear that there are a number of members on here from our neck of the woods.

there is no rush

Yeah, I have to take it very easily. I have another operation being done on my bad nerves (they burn part of the end of the nerves away with an electrical current, which stops me from being in a lot of pain) at the end of next month and I plan to use the pain management rehab (physiotherapy) to help me with building up a better platform with my core, so that I am able to progress with my cycling and restoring my fitness. I am really unfit and have very poor cardio, which is normal as I've not been very mobile for about 8-9 years. So I plan to just steadily and correctly build up my ability at staying in the saddle and enjoy doing something that will improve my levels of pain in my back/left leg.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Felix

Welcome from Abingdon!

When you've got some miles under your belt than come and join us over at Abingdon Freewheeling .... The mellow cycling club!

Enjoy!

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Hi Felix

Welcome from Abingdon!

When you've got some miles under your belt than come and join us over at Abingdon Freewheeling .... The mellow cycling club!

Enjoy!

When I was googling for Oxford area bike clubs, I remember seeing links for your club come up.

I will take you up on your offer once my fitness is good enough, for me to take part in group rides. A "mellow" pace is going to suit my initial abilities best.

I used to cycle over to "The Old Jail" a fair bit during the summer and I remember the ride over to Abingdon is really enjoyable on a bike. My memory has started to work again with all of the routes and different bike rides I would go on with my friends.

Top Bottom