Hello from Leicester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Didn't realise there were so many of us from the Leicestershire area.. welcome onboard @Vickivix

in terms of weight loss - I was kinda similar - heading towards the big 4-0 over-weight and underfit... a combination of plenty of cycling, swimming and changing the way I eat (I do the 5:2 - but that's another story ;) ) and I've easily 2 1/2 stone in a year without , and am way fitter - so yes, enjoy your riding, and it really will get easier ;) (quicker than you think)
Whitick?
I used to go Kung fu lessons there, along with ashby and tamworth 25 years ago .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Whitick?
I used to go Kung fu lessons there, along with ashby and tamworth 25 years ago .
Whitick, you'll be calling Coalville Coville next. :whistle:

OP
OP
V

Vickivix

I don't really have trouble reaching the brakes, but it's all so different to a hybrid. I think the leaning forward position feels odd to be in when stopping. But as MJay said above, those brakes aren't meant for stopping dead. I do probably look a tit with my cross tops but if it means I actually get out and use the bike, who cares!

Thanks for the lovely welcome, I was nervous about joining a load of cycling experts, but you're all nice !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the leaning forward position feels odd to be in when stopping. But as MJay said above, those brakes aren't meant for stopping dead.
They should still stop you efficiently but even if everything's working perfectly, the different pad sizes would mean you've got 5/7ths (72% IIRC) the maximum braking force (on the rim) of a typical hybrid.

As for leaning forwards, you need to brace yourself against the bars a bit. You probably do this naturally on flat bars when pulling the levers, but your arms should be more relaxed on a road bike even when pulling the levers IMO so it might need more deliberate thought to tense arms while braking and avoid being pushed forwards on the saddle and towards the bars until you're used to it.

OP
OP
V

Vickivix

Thank you, I'll try to think of that next time I'm out. Apologies for autocorrect on your name in my post!

It also doesn't help that I have a large belly getting in the way of leaning over. But cycling will help me get rid of it.

Reactions: mjr

Lullabelle

Banana
Hello everyone, I've finally taken the plunge and joined. I've had a hybrid for a while but have always fancied a road bike, so I bought one in January and have been to scared to ride it! I did take it for a spin and realised I struggled a lot with the brakes, my hands are fairly stiff and don't have much strength. I bought some cross top levers, took it for another ride and still hated it. So, I then bought the "gear", a decent top and padded shorts, took the bike to Londons Freecycle and it's finally clicked, we get on!

I'm still not ever so confident on stopping and I'm still not keen on using the normal brake levers, but after only a few miles I'm not worrying as I'm sure it will come.

So hello and please be gentle!

:welcome: welcome, I am a Leicester Lass born and bred :okay:

Top Bottom