Hello from Leicester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vickivix

Hello everyone, I've finally taken the plunge and joined. I've had a hybrid for a while but have always fancied a road bike, so I bought one in January and have been to scared to ride it! I did take it for a spin and realised I struggled a lot with the brakes, my hands are fairly stiff and don't have much strength. I bought some cross top levers, took it for another ride and still hated it. So, I then bought the "gear", a decent top and padded shorts, took the bike to Londons Freecycle and it's finally clicked, we get on!

I'm still not ever so confident on stopping and I'm still not keen on using the normal brake levers, but after only a few miles I'm not worrying as I'm sure it will come.

So hello and please be gentle!

13 rider

Guru
Hi from a fellow Leicesterite if that's the term .enjoy your riding you'll get used to everything soon confidence will come

OP
OP
V

Vickivix

I'm a few days off 39 and I want to get to 40 considerably fitter. I have a friend from down south who used to be overweight (as am I), and she lost it, rides and runs loads and now has a resting HR of 40. Whenever I see her Facebook posts its more incentive to get out there. If she can do it, why can't I. Don't get me wrong, I don't compare myself to her. But she's a bit of an inspiration.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
:welcome: and road bikes are built more for going than stopping. The brakes are probably something like calipers with 50mm pads (35mm if unlucky), which are much less powerful than the 70mm-padded V brakes on typical hybrids. Compared to a hybrid, brake early and progressively harder and be ready to put feet down or jump off! DAMHIK :laugh:

wardy_uk

Didn't realise there were so many of us from the Leicestershire area.. welcome onboard @Vickivix

in terms of weight loss - I was kinda similar - heading towards the big 4-0 over-weight and underfit... a combination of plenty of cycling, swimming and changing the way I eat (I do the 5:2 - but that's another story ;) ) and I've easily 2 1/2 stone in a year without , and am way fitter - so yes, enjoy your riding, and it really will get easier ;) (quicker than you think)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Ex Leicester, now living further west.

Well done so far. I too hit 40 with a little bit of extra weight, resting heart rate in the upper 60s. Now I'm a stone and a half lighter, 2 inches less round the waste, and resting heart rate in the low 50s.

Tigers fan, though.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Welcome from another in Leicester, though I am not originally from here. You will soon get used to the road bike. I hated my road bike at first but now it is my preferred ride.

Top Bottom