Hello from Kirkcaldy, Scotland!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

I'm Darren, bought a road bike about 4-5 months ago and been on it once, however, looking to become more active on it now.

Ideally, I'd love to commute to work - it's about 15 miles each way, but I'm terrified of other road users despite being a driver myself.

I'm signed up for the Caledonia Etape in May (http://etapecaledonia.co.uk/), so I really need to put some miles in to train for that.

Looking forward to meeting other people, learning stuff and so forth!

Cheers,
Darren

ACS

Legendary Member
:welcome: from up the road. Commuting is a great way of getting some miles in.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Welcome Darren. Start with a few easy rides to build up your confidence and take it from there. Hopefully the weather will start to improve so it will be a bit more bike friendly ! What is your commute like - busy A roads or do you have the option of taking more traffic free routes. Even now I'm pretty spoked by riding in busy traffic.

Either way you will pick up lots of advice from the people on here.

IBarrett

Über Member
Hi and Welcome.

My advice would be to find a 5 mile circuit you can do regularly to build up your strength for the commute. It will also give you confidence around other road users.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ideally, I'd love to commute to work - it's about 15 miles each way, but I'm terrified of other road users despite being a driver myself.
Your local council says "If you have forgotten how to even ride a bike there are courses available email travel.plan@fife.gov.uk to find out when the next event will take place" - email them and explain you're nervous of other road users and ask when the next courses are?

OP
OP
darrentaytay

darrentaytay

Über Member
Thanks for the welcomes guys, already some solid advice!

What is your commute like - busy A roads or do you have the option of taking more traffic free routes. Even now I'm pretty spoked by riding in busy traffic.

- I have a few route options as you can see here. From Kirkcaldy (where I live) to Dunfermline (where I work), it's backroads, however, once I get to Dunfermline, it's quite busy and there is a small A road. Are cyclists allowed on A roads? It's like a small dual carriageway.

I like the idea of finding a small route and giving that a good go before trying to commute.

ACS

Legendary Member
Just taken a look, the short stretch from the B925 along the A92 must be considered with caution and I know the route you have from there is busy even outside the rush hour.

Could your route be Sanderling Way > Dunlin Rd >Linburn Rd >Woodmill Rd, or is this a bit of a rat run to avoid the route being considered

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Calling @Col5632 ! He should know something about Kirkcaldy to Dunf ....

For other, more social riding, keep your eyes out for a CC Ecosse Forum Ride, which will be posted in this section and always follow the 3 Rules of a CC Ecosse Forum Ride:
  1. Any bike will do
  2. No one gets left behind
  3. There will be CAKE ! :hungry:
Ride Safe and look forward to meeting you :hugs: and riding with you. :bicycle:

animated-smileys-greetings-012.gif
If you can try and not hit the traffic at peek times. I leave home a lot earlier than I need to arriving at work well over an hour early. This gives me time to freshen up and a couple cups of tea. It also means the road tends to be a lot quieter. Very occasionally I can go a couple of miles without a single vehicle passing.

OP
OP
darrentaytay

darrentaytay

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies! :smile:

Could your route be Sanderling Way > Dunlin Rd >Linburn Rd >Woodmill Rd, or is this a bit of a rat run to avoid the route being considered

That could be a good way to go, thanks mate!

For other, more social riding, keep your eyes out for a CC Ecosse Forum Ride, which will be posted in this section and always follow the 3 Rules of a CC Ecosse Forum Ride:

Will most definitely keep an eye out, thanks :biggrin:

If you can try and not hit the traffic at peek times. I leave home a lot earlier than I need to arriving at work well over an hour early. This gives me time to freshen up and a couple cups of tea. It also means the road tends to be a lot quieter. Very occasionally I can go a couple of miles without a single vehicle passing.

Yeh I would definitely leave early in the morning to miss alot of the traffic, unfortunately my office doesn't have a shower so I'd have to awkwardly straddle over the communal kitchen sink to freshen up or something, haha.

Col5632

Guru
Hi @darrentaytay welcome to the site. I've lived in Dunfermline all my life (Now Cowdenbeath) so I know the roads you are talking about like the back of my hand.

I would say your route is good, once you get to crossgates you don't need to go anywhere near the A92, there is a road then a path that goes past the car garages, I would then follow the path through halbeath and along halbeath road, halbeath road is quite busy but its really wide and only a 30mph limit. I would stick on Halbeath road, straight over the "police station roundabout" and into East port and down the new row to comely park (saves going through the public park) which could be icy at this time of year.

If you need anybody to show you some or all of the route I would be more than happy to show you :okay:

Top Bottom