Hello All

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobC

Hello from the flats of Lincolnshire.
Purchased Bike last year. 29" Trek Hybrid on advice of local shop.
Hardly been on it though since I bought it.
Why? Two reasons,
1) My disability means I have no support/rigidity in my arm so cannot use it to support my right side which affects my posture and means that if I come off that side, the first thing to hit the road is my head.
2) Soon after I bought it, I came off big style and realised that I don't bounce like I did when I was 20 so have frankly, lost my confidence a bit.

Frankly, lost my confidence a bit.
Love to hear from anyone with rides with upper limb disability for advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and :welcome:

I have an issue with my left wrist that left me unable to ride for 7 years and am also partially paralysed down the left side of my body, in addition. I can use the hand to some extent, but it doesn't always do what I want it to do, so braking with my left hand etc is not a guaranteed method of stopping! :whistle: I also have some balance issues, but have found a good wobble every now and again is a great way of getting drivers to give me loads of road. It also means that indicating right is difficult for me, I physically can't balance and only hold on with my left hand, something I have been working hard on for many years.

@mickle may be the best person to ask advice from...

I know for a while I had a set of brake levers on my mtb that operated both brakes from the same lever on the right hand, and that just left me with front derailleur changes for my bad hand. Building up my confidence (again) and much practice has got me back to being able to use conventional levers on my mountain bike and my road bike, though I have had to fit cross levers to my road bike to be able to brake properly. I simply don't have the strength in the hand to use STI levers to stop the bike even with really good grippy brake blocks.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi., sorry I can't help you, but welcome to the forum. There are lots of people here who are willing to help. Good luck.:welcome:

A friend of mine has a birth defect and has a clubbed hand and can't put we; he could do a lot of damage if he comes off, he once told me; but he hasn't let it hold him back. The bike set up seems to be part of the key, the other his brilliance; he regularly wins disabled TT's and will finish 7th or 8th in the abled body classification :-)

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
would riding on he back of a tandem help with confidence ?

OP
OP
RobC

RobC

Morning guys,
Thanks for all the welcomes.
Biggs 862 that is a great idea, Brother has Tandem and would be worth a shot.
I think it really is a case of just getting on it and riding.
I was looking at one of these body suite tops with protection built in, I appreciate they are for off roading really but just thought it mat give me a bit of support.
I know it would crash my street cred but I lost me ego years ago. Am I being bonkers???
For interest guys what I finished with is a TREK Marlin, 29" Twin cable brake calipee set to the left with twist grip derailleur changes and Hi-Lo trigger all set up on the left.
In essence, it all works fine as a mod. the left hand side of the bar is a bit busy but its all there. Its just what to do with my other arm.
Enjoy your Sunday folks,
Cheers

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
rb01.jpg

These bad boys are gaining cred, especially after Guy Martins exploits this summer.

Pricey but an awesome way to ride

Oh and Welcome, sorry very rude.

Top Bottom