Garden strimmers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's wrong with it exactly?

WIth mine the only reason the strimmer line wears ou tis if I let it get too close to the concrete etc

never breaks with out strimmer - but I do use line that is better than the stuff that it originally have

dicko

Guru
Bought a Bosch strummer five years ago. Forever feeding the line thro as it breaks. Don’t know what I’m doing wrong? Get the shears out never a problem.

Sounds like people are getting the wrong line. I get 2.4 from Screwfix and its never snapped and I do brambles and scrub as well as long grass.

Mike_P

Guru
Never really suffered the line breaking that much, more getting jammed and/or the line not feeding on. Worse was one with two reels.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Line breaks constantly . It just never lasts . Shears just work !

simongt

Guru
The above Bain of my life , restored to old fashioned shears ! Less hassle and I don’t have to put up with strimmer line !
My sentiments exactly - ! :okay:
By the time you've got the strimmer out, unwound the cable, found the circuit breaker, done the strimming, cleaned the strimmer afterwards, rewound the cable ensuring no kinks and put it and the circuit breaker away, shears are a lot simpler - ! ^_^
PLUS, shears keep your flexibility flexible - ! :thumbsup:
I still have a strimmer in the shed, but canna mind of the last time I used it - ! :rofl:

icowden

Veteran
By the time you've got the strimmer out, unwound the cable, found the circuit breaker, done the strimming, cleaned the strimmer afterwards, rewound the cable ensuring no kinks and put it and the circuit breaker away, shears are a lot simpler - ! ^_^
Depends. I just give a couple of pulls on the two stroke engine and I'm away. The only maintenance is draining the petrol tank in the winter (although I have forgotten before now and the petrol just gradually evaporates). I'm thinking there must be a decent battery operated one by now...

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Smaller strimmers take smaller strimmer cord thus easily break. They are not really designed to go around a lot of stone and woodwork, but more for just edging lawns. They are also often of poor design, where it's easy for the eyelet to become sharp or broken or dislodged from the hole the cord comes out of, this will snap cord in no time. I have a Bosch electric which was IIRC £140; it takes the really thick 6 inch long cord that just sits in the spool (rather than being wrapped around it). Never had it break once yet

I've tried several different ones and set ups and can never manage more than a few minutes without the thing snapping.

I borrowed a bodged one off a mate with an allotment, where they'd welded a circular saw blade to a petrol one and it was superb, but a tad lethal. :laugh:

presta

Guru
I have a Flymo strimmer which is a complete PITA to get the lid off the spool case each time the cord breaks, so after years of faffing with it I went and bought a Bosch one which was carefully selected to have a case with a lid that comes off quickly and easily. That one snaps the cord within about 5-10 seconds of switching it on, so I gave up with the pair of them.

I replaced the Strimmer line with a length of brake cable. Problem solved.
So that works does it? I've felt tempted to try it several times.
Bought a Bosch strummer
What tunes does it play?

Top Bottom