Front wheel lob sided?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Hey,
Can you guys have a look at this and see if you think there is something a miss?
My front wheel doesn't quite line up with the centre of the fork crown, it appears to be over to the right. I have tried another known good wheel and it's the same. The bike is a 2024 Domane SL. When I swap the wheel into my Emonda it is bang on the centre, so I don't think it's the dishing of the wheel but rather something with the forks?

I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be but even with the asymmetry of the disc brake I would've thought the wheel would be centred with the top of the fork??:blink: it is in the dropouts and torqued up proper ..
(Admittedly it seems to look more severe actually looking at it than what the photos show)

Can anyone else with the same frame confirm?

Ta :smile:

Attachments

• PXL_20240717_211507505.jpg
    PXL_20240717_211507505.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20240717_205325925.jpg
    PXL_20240717_205325925.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I would go with dishing, which you seem to have dismissed already, not sure what else. Seems unlikely to be a distorted fork.

If we get a bike like that at work, we dish the wheel by tightening all the spokes on the side you want the wheel to go by half a turn all the way around the wheel, then loosening all the spokes on the other side by a quarter of a turn. I start at the valve, so I don't get confused.

We're repairing broken old bikes for sale, so this works for us.

EckyH

If we get a bike like that at work, we dish the wheel by tightening all the spokes on the side you want the wheel to go by half a turn all the way around the wheel, then loosening all the spokes on the other side by a quarter of a turn. I start at the valve, so I don't get confused.
The OP wrote:
My front wheel doesn't quite line up with the centre of the fork crown, it appears to be over to the right. I have tried another known good wheel and it's the same. The bike is a 2024 Domane SL. When I swap the wheel into my Emonda it is bang on the centre
In my experience that's more than enough proof that the wheels aren't the problem.
Tiny bit of 'filing' on the top of the dropout and I mean a tiny bit, I'd use a bit of 1200 emery wrapped round a suitable size of dowel and check after a couple of strokes. Oh on the non brake disc side.
As far as I can see the the fork is a thru-axle fork. The image search seems to confirm that.
So the fork has threads on the right sided "dropout".

In my opinion that's a case for a reclamation, because the axis of the axle seems to be not orthogonally to the steering axis.

E.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Every day is a school day.
I’ve never seen the word lob sided before. I’ve always said lop sided.

But I’ve just googled it, and whilst lop is the correct spelling, you can also use lob as an archaic spelling.

well that's added a lot to the debate :laugh:

I'm with @EckyH, it must be under warranty
The bike is a 2024 Domane SL
so I'd be taking it back. Poor QC as its left the factory

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Before you do anything take the wheel out and refit it the wrong way round (i.e, with the rotor on the wrong side). It should fit without fouling anything but be careful as you fit the thru axle to make sure you are free to spin the wheel without anything catching.

Now look at the rim position, if it is the same as before then the wheel is dished perfectly and the forks are at fault. I say fault, it may just be the design of the forks which is asymmetric (not symmetrical) as is often a necessity for disc brakes.

Before condemning the forks try looking down the bike length ways to see if front and rear wheel are vertical compared to each other.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The OP wrote:

In my experience that's more than enough proof that the wheels aren't the problem.

As far as I can see the the fork is a thru-axle fork. The image search seems to confirm that.
So the fork has threads on the right sided "dropout".

In my opinion that's a case for a reclamation, because the axis of the axle seems to be not orthogonally to the steering axis.

E.

If it is a 'thru axle' then ignore my earlier post.

Top Bottom