FNRttC London - Brighton June 21st

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
What's going on ??

My second FNRttC of the year. The last run to Shoreham proved that I still had legs (despite not cyclo-commuting on a daily basis since Covid kicked off), so I'm coming back for more. Plus, for this one we will have added hatler, mini will be joining us at the start.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was really looking forward to this. But a diary clash has meant I can't. :sad:

The Secret Life of Adrian Vole - aged 52 ½
(with apologies to Sue Townsend)

thursday 20 june
After hearing the disgusting noises coming from the living room last night, I shall be more circumspect about my alcohol intake. I doubt I could become teetotal. A bit like becoming vegan. My sister got the dog drunk on cherry brandy at the pub last night. If the RSPCA hear about it, she could get done. I need to go for a night ride. Luckily, The Fridays gather tomorrow. I worry about what to wear. Not in a fashion sense, or if my socks match my top. Just that I have enough to stay warm, but not too much that I look like I'm going for a week long tour.

friday 21 june
I felt rotten this morning. It's my sister's fault for singing ‘My Way’ at two o’clock in the morning at the top of her voice. Just my luck to have a sister like her. There is a chance she could be an alcoholic. Next year I could be in a care home.
The dog got his own back on my sister. It jumped on the sofa and caught his feet in her crocheted jumper, dragging it into the back yard. My sister kept wailing ‘three months work down the drain’ over and over again.
I get my clothing sorted and leave for the train station. It's a 20 km ride and after 5 km I feel much better. It feels good to leave my sister and the dog behind and my mood lightens. I worry about riding solo in the heavy traffic on unfamiliar streets of the capital. I reach the NFT meeting place unscathed.
Nigel showed up on his new bike. It has got a water bottle, a milometer, a speedometer, a yellow saddle and very thin racing wheels. It's wasted on Nigel. He only does FNRs on it. If I had it, I would go all over the country and have experiences.
We have a stand-in Ride Leader, Mr Tailher, because the original Ride Leader has pulled a muscle. He speaks with a strange accent, is voluble and opinionated. He is also nice, I like him.
There is a new girl on the ride. She is all right. Her name is Pandora but likes being called ‘Box’ Don’t ask me why.
We leave at midnight.

saturday 22 june

It is dry and a balmy 15° with plenty of below the thigh and bare arms on show. We rode off through side streets south of the river, around the back of the Oval, missed a turn, through an estate to the Commons at Clapham, Tooting Bec and Mitcham. Shortly after, very light moisture is felt. By Coulsdon, the drizzle is more intense and on top of the open Farthing Down, it is wetting. Nearly came a cropper over the first cattle grid.
The descent after Chaldon is tricky. The first left bend two riders come down on the greasy surface. They are helped back on by Tim, our All Upper, and another TEC and continue gingerly down. Apart from abrasions and mild shock, both appear to be ok.
By the time we reach Burstow, the mizzle has almost stopped. At The Edifice I sit next to Pandora. She has got hair the colour of treacle. I worry about what to say, so I drink my tea and eat my sandwich, banana and granola bar. A super snack from the Scouts, always most welcome.
We depart just over an hour later, light yet cloudy grey sky and dry-ish. By Lindfield, the drizzle returned. We pressed on, over the A 272 and down the aptly named Slugwash Lane. The surface has deteriorated significantly and caution was required, avoiding gravel and potholes. Nobody came a cropper.
Approaching Ditchling, the mist was so low, the top of the Downs could not be seen. The Hatler family were re-united for a nostalgic climb to the Beacon. I worry about the ascent of the Bostal without falling off or coming to a stop. I rapidly changed down to my lowest gear and hauled myself up. At the top, the blustery wind helped dry outer garments.
Riding along Madeira Drive, the sun was glimpsed through patches of white cloud. Seated on the east side of ‘Spoons out of the strong westerly with an increasingly warming sun, the world felt a better place
Pandora left, taking her train home while I was eating my four B’s breakfast - bacon butty and brown beer. More hydration and then I did the SMRbtH thing.

Until next time…

OP
OP
H

hatler

Guru
Quite a day that.

We met Little Miss hatler off the plane at Gatwick at 6am Friday morning after a year in Aus (and 30 hours of travelling).

Mini-hatler arrived home Friday afternoon having finished five years at uni, along with five uni mates keen for their first taste of Friday Night Riding.

Cue a bout of final lamp fettling, inner tube distribution, clothing discussion (and distribution from the hatler cycle clothing stack).

On to the train in time to get to the NFT by 11.30, slightly dispirited by the forecast of eight hours of light rain stretching from midnight to 8am. And what’s this ? A cargo bike with a spaniel in the front tray. Surely a first for a Fridays ride. Brave man (and gorgeous dog).

Off we set along a route that had me bamboozled until we hit the other side of Clapham Common. Very very occasional droplets, but nothing to worry about. As the ride progressed the frequency of droplets steadily increased, but not enough to warrant putting anything extra on.

Before long we were at the Edifice. Mini’s mates all still slightly in awe of the event and the obvious diligence which goes in to arranging the whole thing.

As we prepared to set off again came the cry “Who’s got a green bike with a red pannier on the right ? You’ve got a flat.” Natch, that’s me. Set off after the fix with the ever patient and long suffering TECs (Tim and Nigel take a bow). Conscious that I’m not as fit as I was, I took off as fast as I could to ensure I wasn’t at the back which meant that by the time I got to Turner’s Hill I needed a lie down.

One thing that stood out for this ride was the array of smells - all manner of different aromas. I’ve not noticed that before. Perhaps a function of the light rain which encouraged various organisms to do stuff, but not heavy enough to beat the smells out of the air.

Finally into hatler stomping ground (Lindfield onwards) where we know the lanes well; Slugwash, Hundred Acre, Spatham and Underhill Lanes in quick succession (during which Mini-hatler suffered a rear deflation) and then to the ‘Coffee Car Park’ at the very bottom of Ditchling Beacon where the other half of the hatlers awaited, sadly without coffee (that was an ask and a complication too far).

To the Top, where Buffy (dog) and his stoker received a thoroughly well-deserved round of applause, and thence to the Spoons at the Marina, where, absolutely on cue, the sun came out as we parked our bikes by the railings.

The rest of the day was a bit of an exhaustion induced blur of catching up with people keen to see Little Miss hatler and then (finally, thank god) home, where I made it to about 8pm before slumping asleep (unconscious ?) at the kitchen table.

I’m not sure I could do all of that more than about once a year.

Thanks (as ever) to everyone who makes these things happen; ride leaders, TECs, organisers, Edifice staffers, waymarkers, and everyone who takes part in such a wonderful spirit. It is something to behold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom