First E Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had my first ever e ride yesterday.

Just a question, if it is a characteristic of an ebike or my inexperience of such.

Is it correct that if you stop pedalling whilst in an electric mode the bike just seems to stop, i.e. no freewheeling?

It would freewheel with the electric off.

What gearing system do you have? Cassette? Internal gearing? Enviolo variable? What size are the tyres and are they properly inflated?

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Bosch Active Line +

Something to do with this perhaps?

Screenshot_20240629-121744.png

Slick

Guru
It was a hire bike on holiday so I will never ride it again!!

It was a Trek Marlin E bike. It was spotless so I don't think very old.
Maybe its a Trek thing then as I can definitely feel the motor drag when going downhill well above the cutout speed.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Maybe its a Trek thing then as I can definitely feel the motor drag when going downhill well above the cutout speed.

Yes, the only time I got rid of this feeling was by turning the motor off altogether.

Just slightly off tangent, I always ride a road bike, but as this was a challenge from a fellow holidaymaker, we hired mtb's.

Totally different sensation on the fast downhills with the wide bars and differing seating position etc. I was lagging well behind (he is a mountain biker) I didn't feel confident at all!

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Yes, the only time I got rid of this feeling was by turning the motor off altogether.

Just slightly off tangent, I always ride a road bike, but as this was a challenge from a fellow holidaymaker, we hired mtb's.

Totally different sensation on the fast downhills with the wide bars and differing seating position etc. I was lagging well behind (he is a mountain biker) I didn't feel confident at all!

I tried that, but I can't honestly say I noticed a huge difference.

I mostly ride a road bike as well, the Trek is just for fun but I have taken it out with others on their road bikes and I'm left way behind on steep descents.

Something to do with this perhaps?

View attachment 735851

Hmm - optionally
wonder what that means??
could be a factory fitted thingy
or even a software setting

still - gievn how it is connected to the wheels - not sure how it can work
surely it would need some sort of connection to the freewheel or something??
so possibly something that depends on the rear wheel fitted in that country

anyone any better ideas than me making it up???

Hmm - optionally
wonder what that means??
could be a factory fitted thingy
or even a software setting

still - gievn how it is connected to the wheels - not sure how it can work
surely it would need some sort of connection to the freewheel or something??
so possibly something that depends on the rear wheel fitted in that country

anyone any better ideas than me making it up???

The most obvious guess would that there's a standard backpedal drum brake on the back wheel.

CXRAndy

Guru
There is minimal drag when you stop pedalling with a mid drive motor. There is a sprag bearing which is in free rotation when you don't pedal. You may feel a slight drag but not a noticeable deceleration

Top Bottom