Fireworks season coming up - should fireworks be banned or better regulated to protect pets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just watched Jez Vine and they are about to debate a politician who is calling for fireworks to be no louder than a hair drier. That got me thinking about fireworks in general. How many other areas of life do we have what is effectively an explosive or incendiary device without training, qualification or licence? Should they be banned except for licenced use / events for use by professionals that are trained and licenced to handle fireworks?

Also, can they really design quiet fireworks?

Also, since I live in the countryside there are longer periods of time than the firework season where people are shooting animals. Our dog never used to be afraid of loud noises, she even used to howl along with emergency service sirens. Now, since we moved here from a small town, she is more timid of loud noises like fireworks and guns going off. Not sure that we can control shooting much more than it is.

The town I live in, like many others in Holland, has banned fireworks, manly because of the pollution and smog. The ban cannot be enforced.

I think they shouldn't be sold to members of the public and just for organized displays only and you have to get a license.
The problem I have with them is that kids assault members of the public and kill pets with them. Near me its been bad with them being fired at members of the emergency services and people just doing their daily things.
How's that fair if you end up in A and E badly burned because of scroats ?
The council here has stopped having firework displays and bonfires a few years back.

presta

Guru
It's so long since I last noticed any fireworks on sale I wondered if they already had been restricted.

How's that fair if you end up in A and E badly burned because of scroats ?

There was a lad in my troop at scouts who had a big scar on his leg where someone had thrown a firework at him.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think the loud ones should be banned for public sale. For a number of reasons:
1) Idiots use them outside of sociable hours (e.g. at 2am), causing unexpected noise and distress
2) Idiots use them and discard the debris which is a threat to wildlife and generally a littering nuisance
3) Idiots buy them in November and use them all year round for birthdays/parties. Again, causing distress when you least expect it.

Big, bright, silent ones exist. I don't have much against them as at least they don't scare people and animals i.e. if you want to avoid them, you can. What you can't avoid is huge bangs that sound like gunshots going off at all hours of the night, and on many other nights apart from 5th Nov

gbb

Squire
I don't believe one of my dogs over the last 45 years has been bothered by fireworks. I'm kinda guessing (maybe mistakenly) that our reaction to them...ie no reaction at all, feeds into our dogs. They see we're not bothered....
I do close windows and doors of course but that's generally it...

Should they be banned ? No.

Punkawallah

Über Member
‘Jez Vine’ is a whinging scroat and should be banned.

But apart from that, I think the authorities have enough on their hands with boat loads of people arriving on our shores uninvited. Let’s sort that out before worrying about fireworks., eh?

Top Bottom