EV's, regenerative braking, and brake lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Interesting discussion. Surprised no-one has mentioned the new fangled "Cruise Control", which (on my car at least) will automatically slow the car to match the speed of a slower vehicle in the same lane (once you are within a certain distance of said vehicle), if you move to overtake the slower vehicle, it automatically returns the car to the set cruising speed. No idea if these changes cause the brake lights to be illuminated, but, I assume the initial slowing causes the brake lights to be illuminated.

Maybe it is an age thing, but, in my petrol or diesel cars, I often relieved the tedium of long motorway hauls (particularly in mainland Europe) by maintaining progress without touching the brakes.

Interesting discussion. Surprised no-one has mentioned the new fangled "Cruise Control", which (on my car at least) will automatically slow the car to match the speed of a slower vehicle in the same lane (once you are within a certain distance of said vehicle), if you move to overtake the slower vehicle, it automatically returns the car to the set cruising speed. No idea if these changes cause the brake lights to be illuminated, but, I assume the initial slowing causes the brake lights to be illuminated.

Maybe it is an age thing, but, in my petrol or diesel cars, I often relieved the tedium of long motorway hauls (particularly in mainland Europe) by maintaining progress without touching the brakes.

Mine does that to

some level of "intelligence" but not enough at times

for example - if the car in front is slowing down then it is great for controlling your speed and maintaining a distance - which you can set

but if you move right to pass them then it takes a couple of seconds to realise and accelerate up to the set speed again

Actually quite dangerous if you are don;t know what it will do
if you press the accelerator it allows you to go faster- which is great for a short temr increase to pass someone
but it you increase speed a lot - then take your foot off the accelerator then it slows down far too dramatically rather then slowing down gradually

too many bits on the car where you have to drive around the cars system rather than the systems following your desires!!!
(no - I didn;t make any comments it being like marriage - stop spreading rumours!!!)

screenman

Legendary Member

I use my active cruise control a lot, in fact I would never buy another car that did not have it fitted.

I use my active cruise control a lot, in fact I would never buy another car that did not have it fitted.

Yes - so do I

I just had to get used to - and learn to drive around - its eccentricities

It seems to be in charge - so I tend to drive with my finger on the cancel button a lot

It is very useful though

Alex321

Guru

Adaptive cruise control is available on quite a few ICE cars as well, it isn't just an EV thing.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Adaptive cruise control is available on quite a few ICE cars as well, it isn't just an EV thing.

Yes, my car is a hybrid

I may have miss understood, I thought the main discussion was activation of brake lights, because of “automatic” systems?

Last edited:
Top Bottom