Enjoying my new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
They give it nice from tomorrow onwards though🌞😀

wonderloaf

Veteran
That's interesting to know someone else that's owned one.Truth be told what do you think of them.Did you have any issues with it,?
Is there anything I should I should keep a close eye on?
It's all new territory to me 👍
PS the red wine is kicking in now,so oppogize for any typos

One thing we had to be careful with is if you start the car from cold don't just move it a few yards (eg off a driveway) and turn it off, we found that you then wouldn't be able to restart it (emissions error or something, my memories a bit hazy on this) so then it was time to call the RAC to come out and reset the system. We found it was always best to let the engine warm up a bit before turning the ignition off, a habit that persists to this day with our current cars!

Re the window leak, we had similar and took it into a dealer to get fixed under warranty. The actual fix wasn't to get new seals fitted, instead they filled the cavity inside the seal with some kind of sealant to stiffen it up a bit, apparently the seals go a bit 'soft' over time and this seemed to fix it!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@wonderloaf .
Thanks for the info.
That was interesting to read about the issues with not turning the car off immediately after starting.
As for the seals I've read somewhere else in my endless trawling of the Internet about them collapsing/going soft.
One owner just simply did exactly what you said by injecting silicone sealant into the hollow cavities in the rubber seals to firm them up.
From reading up on stuff ,I think the most expensive and scary stuff to go wrong are roof failures and the the rear torsion bar suspension.
They can be quite costly to repair

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Saying that though I can bet you can read all sorts of negative things about every car on the Internet.
Some worse than others granted

wonderloaf

Veteran
We had ours for over ten years so we must have enjoyed driving it! I seem to remember that it didn't have any major problems, just niggly little ones that got on your nerves, for instance after a few years the roof started rattling really badly which I believe is quite common. I used to commute everyday in it and when we got rid it had over 100 000 miles on it and was still going strong, it was quite a reliable car and I still go a bit misty eyed whenever I see one these days!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers @Drago.
Just been out for a short drive enjoying the Sun then stopped off to get some groceries.
I've been neglecting my cycling all last week as I've got my car head on at the moment,so this afternoon I'm off for a ride and if the bike throws me into the beer garden on the way back so be it 🤣

Top Bottom