Energy bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On my ride yesterday - 115 km (about 70 miles) I had two peanut butter and marmite rolls, a Clif bar and half a Ritter Sports chocolate bar. I think I had three food stops. I drank two bottles full. One bottle is a regular bidon size, and one is oversized but I don't know their capacities. I think that comes to somewhere between 1 and 2 litres. It was a warm day and I gulped down two pints of squash when I finished as I was pretty thirsty. I'd have been on the lookout for refill locations if it had been a longer ride.

presta

Guru
So you’ll drink approx 2.25L during a 60 mile ride ?

***I don’t think I’m drinking enough.
I carry four litres (3 bottles on the bike and a Platypus bag in the pannier) and I've still had to stop for more on hot days. Walking, I used to carry three litres, and I can remember going all day without peeing on a walk when the sweat was dripping out of my T shirt hem. You don't feel the heat as much on a bike with the additional airflow, but the sweat is still evaporating.
At this level my urine is pale yellow to clear. A good rule of thumb.
The gold standard, but it's not easy to see the colour when you're peeing behind a hedge.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I don’t do food if I’m out for an hour, just half hour water stops. Two hours, half hour stops for water and a bite (half banana). Four or six hours as two, but every hour sit down for a cuppa and bun, and expect to eat a meal on finishing.
Lidl do cereal bars - wait one - Crownfield Porridge Oat bars, 200 calories per bar, one bite is about half a banana. Tasty banana alternative in apple and raspberry flavours, not as squishy.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
On my ride yesterday - 115 km (about 70 miles) I had two peanut butter and marmite rolls, a Clif bar and half a Ritter Sports chocolate bar. I think I had three food stops. I drank two bottles full. One bottle is a regular bidon size, and one is oversized but I don't know their capacities. I think that comes to somewhere between 1 and 2 litres. It was a warm day and I gulped down two pints of squash when I finished as I was pretty thirsty. I'd have been on the lookout for refill locations if it had been a longer ride.

my 65 mile ride yesterday i had a teacake and coffee after 30 miles and a small flapjack i bought with me and 2 bottles of water .I must admit i was ready for more water by the end as it was humid !

Tom B

Guru
Several posts mention flapjacks, so could those who eat them give their recipes?
I've made flapjacks in the past but using molasses instead of golden syrup and the result was a gooey mess.

It's the usual sugar Chemistry. not hot enough and it won't be hard enough, too hot and you can smash windows with it.

Water content of the ingredient plays a part too.

I'll post my basw recipe shortly.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Several posts mention flapjacks, so could those who eat them give their recipes?
I've made flapjacks in the past but using molasses instead of golden syrup and the result was a gooey mess.
Ive recently updated my 'no bake' flap jack recipe and its damn good :okay: 'imho' :laugh: its a bit more expensive but avoids using raisons/sultanas as these can have seeds which are not nice to bite down on :rolleyes:
5 mugs of oats
I jar of clear honey
I tin of prunes
100 gms chopped walnuts
100 gms sliced almonds
3 table spoons of peanut butter
100 gms dried mango
100 gms dried cranberries
splash of lemon juice

Stone the prunes and chop them but the save the juice. Chop up the mango and soak in the prune juice for 20 mins or so- it softens them and then discard the juice. Put all the ingredients in a large saucepan except the oats and heat until everythings melted. In a seperate dry pan warm the oats. Add the oats to the molten honey mix and combine thoroughly
Press into a large flat tin and allow to cool, whap it into a fridge :okay:
* my ingredients are from Tesco but most supermarkets will have everything
* amounts of fruit/nuts isnt that important as long as the honey to oats ratio is right

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One of the very best high energy foods is my friend's mother's Christmas cake. I'm generally called in after Christmas to help dispose the large quantities of the stuff that remains.

It makes Kendal mint cake seem like All Bran.

DogmaStu

Depends upon the intensity of the effort as well as time exercising.

Pootling about for hours in your Zone 1 taking in the scenery doesn’t require much apart from extra hydration and a normal daily dietary intake supplemented by a small regular snack here and there, nothing special, the longer you are out.

But once you start placing larger demands on your body you will burn fuel much more quickly and need to increase the amount accordingly.

Some days I’ll do 4 hr rides on just water and a decent breakfast.

Others I can be consuming an energy gel every 20 minutes or so and going through bidons of water supplemented with electrolytes.

No different from anything else that requires fuel: the greater the effort, the more you will need.

Weather will also have an affect upon our intake - especially hydration and salt replacement.

GCN have a cyclists cook book that has some really good recipes. Personally, I struggle with solid food if doing high intensity rides and so I prefer gels but slower endurance rides and I’ll carry a banana or two plus Haribos and whatever I have pocketable.

I hardly ever stop at a cafe though. Hate to stop. Don’t like coffee and won’t eat cake on a ride :laugh:

PaulSB

Squire
Pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6
500g jumbo porridge oats
250g butter
250g light brown sugar
4-6 tablespoons of golden syrup
Pinch of salt

That's the basic recipe. I usually add:
50g salted cashews
50g sultanas

Quality, large oats are essential. I use Kavannah's from Aldi. In large bowl mix oats, sugar and salt plus sultanas and cashews if using. Melt together butter and golden syrup. Add to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Butter a 20 x 20cm tin and line with baking paper. Firmly press mix into tin using back of spoon. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes. Edges may cook first in which case cover with foil and continue baking till centre is golden brown.

4 TBSP is dry. 6 TBSP will be gooey. I generally use 5. When cool divide into portions, freeze. Pre-ride take from freezer, wrap in foil, shove in pocket. 🤣🤣

It always seems better for being frozen. Weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom