Encountered a real lunatic today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

So today I was driving to work as usual and I found myself behind a car driven quite erratically. We were on a dual carriageway but the driver kept slowing down to approximately 40mph and then speeding up to 80mph again. At first I kept my distance as I drive defensively and like to avoid those who behave in a capricious way but after a while I felt that being slowed down to 40mph and consequently being overtaken by lorries was more dangerous than just overtaking the guy so I did just that.

A mile or two later we reached a roundabout and I turned right onto the now single carriageway A-road, which he must have done too because out of no-where he was on my bumper, so close that I couldn't see his headlights. Despite the fact that I was doing the speed limit of 60mph. We got to the brow of a large hill and I saw queueing traffic up ahead so I eased off and heard a bump, he'd nudged the back of me. When we stopped where the traffic congestion was I got out to see if there was any damage (I don't think so but I will have to clean it to see clearly, it's filthy). This guy then wound down his window and yelled something inaudible at me. I walked over to get the guys details and the second I saw him through the drivers window alarm bells went off - the guys eyes were rolling around all over the place and he couldn't keep his head straight or even look straight at me. He was just rambling and not making any coherent sense. I quickly started to walk back to my car.....and then I heard it..VROOM.....as I was level with my rear passenger door he accelerated as if to overtake my stationary car and then swerved into me, pinning me against my own car. I looked at him through the windows and saw the manic expression on his face, the look of someone totally out of control. I really thought I was going to die, or at least never be able to walk again.

After a while of pinning me against my own car he veered to the right slightly and drove off to join the traffic that had moved all of about 50 yards in that time. Trembling, I got back into the car. As the traffic started to flow again he again didn't keep up with it, still going at 5mph when a gap approximately 300-400 yards to the roundabout developed in front. I took my chance to get away from the lunatic and overtook him, took a different turning to the one I would take to get to work from the roundabout and hid down a country lane before ringing the police. You see, I'd been a good citizen and taken down his registration plate, car model and description (Silver Renault Scenic, ND07NMA, white, late 50s/early 60s, light brown hair, obese).

I rang the non emergency number (101) and they couldn't be less interested. She just said, in an arrogant and patronising voice "if he's hit you and driven off, you need to fill out some forms reporting the RTA". I replied, as calmly as I could that I couldn't care less about the car even if it was damaged, but that a lunatic driver was at large and I got the response "if he's hit you and driven off, you need to fill out some forms reporting the RTA". I then got put on hold. I hung up.

I know this is a cycling forum and this is a driving story but I am really shaken up and just needed to share what happened. I have done a hell of a lot of miles in the car in my life and have encountered the odd case of road rage before but nothing like this. I've just read back and I haven't encapsulated the fear of the situation. When someone is driving their car deliberately at you and you know there's a solid metal object behind you it is just terrifying. :sad: It was 10 hours ago now and I cannot stop thinking about it.

Thank you for reading. I feel a little bit calmer for just putting my thoughts and what happened down on (electronic) paper.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Wow that's crazy, you have to push things with the police though. Glad you're okay!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

This is the second time ever I've had contact with the police. The first time was when I was in a serious RTA. An old woman pulled out right in front of me on a straight B-road and clipped my car, sending me into a wall. She was fine, my back was destroyed. Injuries I've never recovered from. The police turned up just in time to stop my ambulance from taking me to hospital so that they could breathalyse me. I can't tell you how angry I was when I later found out the old woman wasn't breathalysed.

This was 2pm on a weekday afternoon as well, I was a guy in a suit on the way from the office to a meeting. She was back from lunch at a pub. Putting aside the injuries I'd suffered and my need to get to a hospital - who was more likely to have even had a drink anyway?

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Wow that's crazy, you have to push things with the police though. Glad you're okay!

Thank you, but I feel totally disillusioned with the police now. I just don't see the point. :sad: It'd probably just me my word against him, no driver stuck in the traffic came to my aid then so I don't know why they'd come forward now. If the police even bothered to appeal for witnesses, which I doubt they would.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yikes! :eek:

I think that it was a mistake phoning the non-emergency number though. Having someone like that driving around in that state seems like an emergency to me - what might they do next? It sounds like they were on drugs, or having some major mental health issues.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That must have been truly terrifying. You have my sympathies. I have to say, I do think you should have rung 999. If someone like that in charge of a ton and a half of metal capable of 100MPH isn't an emergency, I don't know what is. The response you got was disgraceful. People like that should be tracked down and sacked. I'm serious. It reminds me of that awful story recently about the guy who shot his wife, daughter and sister in law before shooting himself.

"A note attached to Atherton's first application for a firearms licence in 2006 said: "Four domestics, last one 24/4/04, was cautioned for assault. Still resides with partner and son and daughter.
"Would like to refuse, have we sufficient to refuse re public safety?"
He was nevertheless granted a shotgun licence and then a firearms licence two years later. His weapons were confiscated after he threatened to "blow his head off" in September 2008. But weeks later the guns were returned to him, with a final written warning telling him to behave responsibly."

No doubt they were 'following procedures' too.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Yikes! :eek:

I think that it was a mistake phoning the non-emergency number though. Having someone like that driving around in that state seems like an emergency to me - what might they do next? It sounds like they were on drugs, or having some major mental health issues.

I did think about ringing 999 but given my previous negative experience with the police I thought they might prosecute me for time wasting or something! I did think the guy was on something, given his age and weight, I'd have to think alcohol...but a lot of it!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

That must have been truly terrifying. You have my sympathies. I have to say, I do think you should have rung 999. If someone like that in charge of a ton and a half of metal capable of 100MPH isn't an emergency, I don't know what is. The response you got was disgraceful. People like that should be tracked down and sacked. I'm serious. It reminds me of that awful story recently about the guy who shot his wife, daughter and sister in law before shooting himself.

"A note attached to Atherton's first application for a firearms licence in 2006 said: "Four domestics, last one 24/4/04, was cautioned for assault. Still resides with partner and son and daughter.
"Would like to refuse, have we sufficient to refuse re public safety?"
He was nevertheless granted a shotgun licence and then a firearms licence two years later. His weapons were confiscated after he threatened to "blow his head off" in September 2008. But weeks later the guns were returned to him, with a final written warning telling him to behave responsibly."

No doubt they were 'following procedures' too.

Thank you, perhaps I should have rung 999. It was definitely an emergency situation to me, but that previous experience with the police just made me loose so much faith in them. I'm not sure how much I have left now tbh.

That's a horrific story about the gun licence. :sad: It does seem that some people just follow a script that they've been given without thinking for themselves. A script that's wrong.

Night Train

Maker of Things
That's terrible and scary!

I also think you would have been justified in stopping where he hit you and phoning 999 as he had hit your car, hit you and then driven off. People like that should be taken off the roads, permanently.

IanA

I wouldn't leave it there, I'd recall the police main number and push for a result, this guy was either on drugs or most definitely not fit to be behind the wheel !

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think at the point you're being pinned against your car you have a pretty good reason to call 999! If you have the presence of mind to do it there and then, and can get to your phone (IE, it's in a pocket). But it's very easy to say that with hindsight from a safe distance.

Glad you're not hurt. Perhaps you'd get a better result going to a station in person?

Get it on record at least. It might mean he gets pulled by an APNR car sometime, or at least if he does something bad, it might stand as evidence that it's not the first time...

Lpoolck

Veteran
I do not know what is more ridiculous. The actions of the 'lunatic' or the reaction of the police.

Give an offender an inch and he will take a mile.

Top Bottom