Electric Pumps for Dummies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I’ve yet to see anyone using an electric pump out on the road. Are they not a bit of a niche fetish?

Well, some swear by them. I use my normal pumps so little (and no I don't have tubeless) a battery one would be flat by the time I went to use it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Why not carry both a mini pump and one of the electric pumps? just slide it in your pocket before you leave home, makes sense to me.

I would say it depends on whetehr you are thinking of use at home or out on the road

On the road - no
at home - well I have on occaision thought it would be handy to use the one that came with my car
but taking it out to the car would be a pain. but I have thought about having an adapter from 13A to the car power socket type thingy (I still call it the cigarette lighter) so I can use the car pump in the back garden
at the moment I have a cheap track type pump which is great but as I already have decent electric one in the car it would be nice to be able to use it

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
There are a few threads on electronic pumps and I’ve written about my personal experience with them.

I’m able bodied and would always reach for the track pump at home. Going out I carry either a Lezyne or Topeak mini pump. The Lezyne has taken to removing valve cores but that is another story. I do have a shoulder issue and when tired at the end of a long ride I can struggle to get a tyre hard with a mini pump. To address this I considered CO2 or electric as back up. I decided to give a Fumpa nano a try and it’s pretty good. It will inflate a tyre to finger test hard with one charge, or top up a couple of partially inflated tyres. It recharges quickly e.g. while you are having a coffee or from a power bank. It is about the size of a matchbox and weighs very little. The obvious downside is the need to keep it topped up. I’d not want to rely on it completely without a mini pump on a long ride but as a get out of jail free card it works well. Other models with more capacity, but potentially more weight, might be a better balance for some folk.

Get out of here with your well informed and sensible pro + cons post.

Say they are crap and remind people they have two arms !

Seevio

Guru
I have just bought an electric mini pump having looked into them after seeing this thread. I would say that for the times when I would absolutely need it, I.e. put on the road, it is probably not worth the money for the amount of times I would expect to use it. Saying that, it takes up less space than a mini pump and is clearly easier to use. It also compares favourable to my track pump although if I use it at home it would have to be not immediately prior to a ride.

The disadvantage is the limited battery capacity. The number of times the avarage tyre can be inflated from flat on a single charge is in the single digits. This means that ideally you want the pump to be fully charged before a ride just in case. Not an especially onerous task but it's why you don't want to use it at home before a ride if you have a manual pump to hand.

Lastly, I have two arms and can use a manual pump. I also have two legs and can walk and yet I still ride a bike.

Top Bottom