Electric Pumps for Dummies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These seem to be gaining traction - wonder if anyone regularly uses one portable or for home use

"Electric pumps are crap - nothing wrong with a quality track pump "......Just put that in to save anyone else typing it😀

Any recommendations?

mustang1

Legendary Member
Do they need charging or something? You'll have the anti Di2 brigade on your case soon.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Why use one when you have a couple of limbs sticking out of your torso that will do the job perfectly well, and don't break down or require batteries etc?
Keep it simple.

si_c

Guru
I'm not particularly a fan of the idea, not really sure why they are better than a track pump.

I've got an air compressor in the garage which works really well to inflate a tyre and works far faster than an electric one would, but I still find myself reaching for a regular track pump just because it works really really well.

Sharky

Guru
These seem to be gaining traction
Not sure. There seems to be a greater movement towards tubeless tyres and thus eliminating issues from punctures. So a pump is no longer essential, or at least the need for a pump becomes less.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Better than a track pump? No chance. Better than a mini pump? Well, it would be hard to be worse.

Oddly enough I had to top my tyres up yesterday without access to a track pump.

I only had access to my mini pump. It's a Topeak road morph, by far and away the best of the many mini pumps I have owned. And I've owned a lot. They have all been crap to one extent or another. The Road Morph is almost "not bad". Almost, but not quite.

This was under ideal conditions in a garage, cup of coffee to hand. I even had a little mat to kneel on. It was still a really unpleasant experience.

Mini pumps are an absolute abomination. So if they can manufacture electric pumps to be reliable and portable (a very big if) we should be able to say good riddance to useless mini pumps.

Methinks this is a first world conundrum :laugh:

geocycle

Legendary Member
There are a few threads on electronic pumps and I’ve written about my personal experience with them.

I’m able bodied and would always reach for the track pump at home. Going out I carry either a Lezyne or Topeak mini pump. The Lezyne has taken to removing valve cores but that is another story. I do have a shoulder issue and when tired at the end of a long ride I can struggle to get a tyre hard with a mini pump. To address this I considered CO2 or electric as back up. I decided to give a Fumpa nano a try and it’s pretty good. It will inflate a tyre to finger test hard with one charge, or top up a couple of partially inflated tyres. It recharges quickly e.g. while you are having a coffee or from a power bank. It is about the size of a matchbox and weighs very little. The obvious downside is the need to keep it topped up. I’d not want to rely on it completely without a mini pump on a long ride but as a get out of jail free card it works well. Other models with more capacity, but potentially more weight, might be a better balance for some folk.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Better than a track pump? No chance. Better than a mini pump? Well, it would be hard to be worse.

Oddly enough I had to top my tyres up yesterday without access to a track pump.

I only had access to my mini pump. It's a Topeak road morph, by far and away the best of the many mini pumps I have owned. And I've owned a lot. They have all been crap to one extent or another. The Road Morph is almost "not bad". Almost, but not quite.

This was under ideal conditions in a garage, cup of coffee to hand. I even had a little mat to kneel on. It was still a really unpleasant experience.

Mini pumps are an absolute abomination. So if they can manufacture electric pumps to be reliable and portable (a very big if) we should be able to say good riddance to useless mini pumps.

Never had any issues with my Blackburn Airsticks, Road Morph with gauge, and an el-cheapo "Amazoon" mini track pump from on-line.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Are electric pumps the new chain lube?
Perhaps! Or maybe the new disc brake thread, or electronic changing, or gps navigation, like these they are entering a market where few folk can see a use as existing tech is basically ok for the majority. Maybe as they develop and people experiment they will find a place for some, or disappear without trace.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some people swear by these pumps, but I've got about 4/5 normal pumps - all live in different bags/panniers so I never need to remember one, and it doesn't need charging. Different 'packs' for different bikes. Two road bikes use the same stuff, but the CX doesn't especially in CX mode. The commuter, all the gear lives in the panniers, and the FS MTB has a different set of kit for all day off road.

Saves 'remembering stuff' if you have many bike 'types'.

Top Bottom