Electric Pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gcogger

I can see the attraction - but with my mini pump I can easily get the tyre up to a minimal pressure enough to get me home which is all I need in extreme circumstances - such as rain and cold etc

I can see the point in people with less arm strength - although my arms and wrists are pretty weak for a bloke anyway
but for someone like my wife I would suggest CO2 rather than electric - just for reliability

Perhaps the Stompump might work for people with limited arm strength, assuming 60psi is enough?

OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Veteran
I'm guessing you want something small, light and electric to take out in case you have a slow leak mid ride? The CYCplus linked to above sounds really good but it says can only inflate to 80 PSI on a full charge. Probably enough to get you home but if you have quite a fast puncture or leak elsewhere then you're only good for one refill. IME anything with an integral battery does not have the longevity of standard batteries. I mean, they'll work, but their ability to hold a charge decreases quite rapidly if left unused or flat for extended periods of time.

Bear in mind also that most car pumps, even very good ones, are only rated up to about 40-45 PSI. I found that out when I first got a road bike and wondered why the car pump would not go above 40 PSI when I needed 100 PSI. We also have a mini battery operated pump which is even worse, it takes 6 AA batteries and struggles to get to 35 PSI. My track pump on the other hand, is amazing, you've obviously just got to put in the effort.

For your needs I'd say mini track pump is the way to go. They are small, light, don't need charging, are very unlikely to fail, are quite cheap, and can fit on a frame or in a backpack.

To be honest I’m not looking at all, I saw them available and wondered about their quality and use, nothing more than that. Thought it would be a lot nicer to use than co2 and seemingly less wasteful with the canisters etc

I’ve got a morph-g which sits on my frame quite happily but I would like to replace it if there’s something else out there - but seems I’ll stick with it. I mean it’s a cracking bit of kit but always good to see what else is worth a look.

Top Bottom