Eastbound and down - routes from Oban to Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daffs

After ticking off the other three cardinal points of the UK mainland, I've just got the West point left to do.
I'm calling Ardnamurchan Lighthouse the west point as Corrachadh Mòr seems to be a hike to get there.

The plan is to cycle home connecting my routes West to East making a nice cross.

Currently I was think of taking a train up to Fort William
boat/ferry crossing to Gaul/Camusnagaul
Ride A861 (South/West) to Ardnamurchan Lighthouse
Ferry - Kilchoan to Tobermory
Ride Tobermory to Craignure (Isle of Mull)
Ferry - Craignure to Oban

A85/A82 to Glasglow seems to be out of the question based on other posts I've seen describing this route. (Single lane busy A road)

I thought maybe A816/A83 to Campbeltown, ferry to Ardrossan, but I'm not a fan of cycling busy A roads.

Can anyone suggest routes from Oban down to Glasglow?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
After ticking off the other three cardinal points of the UK mainland, I've just got the West point left to do.
I'm calling Ardnamurchan Lighthouse the west point as Corrachadh Mòr seems to be a hike to get there.

The plan is to cycle home connecting my routes West to East making a nice cross.

Currently I was think of taking a train up to Fort William
boat/ferry crossing to Gaul/Camusnagaul
Ride A861 (South/West) to Ardnamurchan Lighthouse
Ferry - Kilchoan to Tobermory
Ride Tobermory to Craignure (Isle of Mull)
Ferry - Craignure to Oban

A85/A82 to Glasglow seems to be out of the question based on other posts I've seen describing this route. (Single lane busy A road)

I thought maybe A816/A83 to Campbeltown, ferry to Ardrossan, but I'm not a fan of cycling busy A roads.

Can anyone suggest routes from Oban down to Glasglow?

I cycled this often in the distant past but not been on some of the roads for some time and I assume nowhere is quiet as it used to be.
From Oban perhaps head south towards Lochgilphead then left to Inveraray and on over the Rest to Garelochhead and from there continue to the A82 where there are cyclepaths which should take you the whole way to Glasgow.
I agree that the A85 and A82 are far too busy. The A83 will be fairly busy but is more open so overtaking traffic should not be much of a problem

T4tomo

Legendary Member
you could combine the Caledonian way to Tarbert and then pick up the 5 ferries route and then freestyle it into Glasgow
I havent checked this just tweaked teh standard google maps offering so you'd want to double check to those published "routes"

plus it definitely isnt the most direct. also need to time the overnight stop(s)make the ferry bit work.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oba...2583345!2d55.8616704!3e1?authuser=0&entry=ttu

or carry on down from Tarbert to catch Claonaig - Lochranza ferry and then Brodick to Ardrossan ferry
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oba...2583345!2d55.8616704!3e1?authuser=0&entry=ttu

oldwheels

Legendary Member
you could combine the Caledonian way to Tarbert and then pick up the 5 ferries route and then freestyle it into Glasgow
I havent checked this just tweaked teh standard google maps offering so you'd want to double check to those published "routes"

plus it definitely isnt the most direct. also need to time the overnight stop(s)make the ferry bit work.

or carry on down from Tarbert to catch Claonaig - Lochranza ferry and then Brodick to Ardrossan ferry

Ferries are dodgy and he could get stuck on Arran.

Brandane

Legendary Member

If you are planning to do this route THIS summer, be aware that there is NO ferry service between Campbeltown and Ardrossan due to CalMac being a bit short on vessels to cover routes. The usual ferry on that route has been re-assigned to cover Brodick/Ardrossan, which means that the route below becomes your only option if heading down that way.... (that would be my personal choice of route from Oban to Glasgow).

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There are worse places to be stuck :smile:. Plus, I don't think the Arran ferries are any more dodgy than anywhere else on the CalMac circuit. Especially in summer when the winds are less violent.

Weather is not always the problem and Mull ferries are often off for other reasons. Today for example MV Isle of Mull has missed several sailings due to a plumbing problem. Mind you she is often away serving Arran instead of Mull.
The OP may be time constrained but has not commented on this.

OP
OP
D

Daffs

If you are planning to do this route THIS summer, be aware that there is NO ferry service between Campbeltown and Ardrossan due to CalMac being a bit short on vessels to cover routes. The usual ferry on that route has been re-assigned to cover Brodick/Ardrossan, which means that the route below becomes your only option if heading down that way.... (that would be my personal choice of route from Oban to Glasgow).

Hoping to do this next summer when I've got a bit more holiday saved up. I had to settle for a long weekend trip this year to Ness Point.

I tried looking at Ferry times during the winter but nothing was showing at the time

OP
OP
D

Daffs

Weather is not always the problem and Mull ferries are often off for other reasons. Today for example MV Isle of Mull has missed several sailings due to a plumbing problem. Mind you she is often away serving Arran instead of Mull.
The OP may be time constrained but has not commented on this.

A bit flexible on time, getting there by train (Fort William) and then cycling 600-700miles home. I'm a fairly slow cyclist averaging about 10-12mph over a day. I was hoping to do the trip in two weeks, but will probably have to stretch it to three taking into consideration ferries and location of accommodation.

Top Bottom