DVLA Clamping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
They'd need an articulated lorry full of clamps in Bradford if what my former Police mate says is right.

In my days as a motor insurance claims inspector, any accident in Bradford was a total PITA as the cars always had issues and often had too many passengers. And that was 20 years ago.

Emanresu

When I was a volunteer at a local charity, I used to do a lot of form filling for clients who had a fear of forms (there must be a name for it). Had a couple of guys visit - an Iraqi taxi driver and the taxi business owner - who wanted help with the speeding form (NIP - Notice of Intended Prosecution).

The owner, as the Keeper, wanted to nominate the driver but the form confused him. So I went through the form with him. When it got to the question about the driver licence number I got a blank stare from both of them. The driver pipes up that they didn't have them in Iraq so he didn't have one! Reached into the drawer for the list of local solicitors and sent them on their way.

Cavalol

Legendary Member
It's very hit-and-miss. Some bloke round the back had an untaxed, un-insured and out of test van outside his house (on the road) for at least two years and it never got touched. I think they usually go round a week or so into a new month to catch people who couldn't afford to tax their motors. Christmas (or just after) was another favourite. I expect they have a good idea (without people ringing them) as they only have to check what cars haven't been put on SORN or are untaxed and drive round looking for them.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's very hit-and-miss. Some bloke round the back had an untaxed, un-insured and out of test van outside his house (on the road) for at least two years and it never got touched. I think they usually go round a week or so into a new month to catch people who couldn't afford to tax their motors. Christmas (or just after) was another favourite. I expect they have a good idea (without people ringing them) as they only have to check what cars haven't been put on SORN or are untaxed and drive round looking for them.
Every online check made brings any untaxed vehicle to the attention of the DVLA.

Dadam

Über Member
Every online check made brings any untaxed vehicle to the attention of the DVLA.

Do you have a source for that? It would of course be simplicity itself to ping up a report of the ones that people search that come up with no tax/mot/insurance, but is there any evidence they then do anything about it, and what do they do? All they could do is write to the keeper.

Alex321

Guru

The DVLA don't need those checks to bring it to their attention. They already have the information in their database. And will be sending uout notices to the registered keeper (which of course will often be registered to the wrong address if they are not taxing/insuring it).

Somebody checking whether a vehicle is taxed is not going to make the slightest difference to the information they have, unless it is one which has been registered with them as SORN.

classic33

Leg End Member
Do you have a source for that? It would of course be simplicity itself to ping up a report of the ones that people search that come up with no tax/mot/insurance, but is there any evidence they then do anything about it, and what do they do? All they could do is write to the keeper.
DVLA themselves.
I'd asked, in writing, whether the vehicle that hit me was MOT'd, taxed and insured. I also wanted the vehicle owners details.

As for it showing up on their records, a person checking shows that the vehicle is on the road. The owner can say that it isn't, but how is that possible if it's involved in an RTI?
There's also a report option on the site, which wouldn't be needed if they went with what the owner said alone.

Dadam

Über Member
DVLA themselves.
I'd asked, in writing, whether the vehicle that hit me was MOT'd, taxed and insured. I also wanted the vehicle owners details.

What did they actually say though? You asking for details because of an accident is a lot different to someone searching online.

As for it showing up on their records, a person checking shows that the vehicle is on the road. The owner can say that it isn't, but how is that possible if it's involved in an RTI?
There's also a report option on the site, which wouldn't be needed if they went with what the owner said alone.

No, it doesn't. It's an indicator, but it could be someone typing the wrong reg, or checking a car in a photo, or even just idly seeing if a car they used to own is still on the road. I ask again, if someone just searches a vehicle that shows no MOT, what specifically do DVLA do?

Having worked in IT for public sector bodies, I'd bet they do absolutely nothing. Perhaps if specific cars show up on a lot of searches from different IPs they might ask police to look out for it, even then I'd be sceptical. It's going to show up if it gets a ping on ANPR in any case.

I've just spent a few minutes looking up cars I used to own. A couple of older ones are showing no current MOT. Actually they are showing overdue for their first MOT! Which isn't that surprising as they would have been paper ones from the 1990s and won't have been migrated to the new database. I somewhat doubt I've sparked a wild goose chase for 2 cars that were probably melted down 25 years ago. :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
What did they actually say though? You asking for details because of an accident is a lot different to someone searching online.

No, it doesn't. It's an indicator, but it could be someone typing the wrong reg, or checking a car in a photo, or even just idly seeing if a car they used to own is still on the road. I ask again, if someone just searches a vehicle that shows no MOT, what specifically do DVLA do?

Having worked in IT for public sector bodies, I'd bet they do absolutely nothing. Perhaps if specific cars show up on a lot of searches from different IPs they might ask police to look out for it, even then I'd be sceptical. It's going to show up if it gets a ping on ANPR in any case.

I've just spent a few minutes looking up cars I used to own. A couple of older ones are showing no current MOT. Actually they are showing overdue for their first MOT! Which isn't that surprising as they would have been paper ones from the 1990s and won't have been migrated to the new database. I somewhat doubt I've sparked a wild goose chase for 2 cars that were probably melted down 25 years ago. :laugh:
The written request was made because they aren't allowed to give the owners details online or over the phone.
Previous searches for the vehicle details had been done online, which they had a record off. Had any of those been made by me?

As for asking again, you've not even asked until now what they do. Your best source for that information as opposed to wild speculation and accusations would be to do what I did, contact them. I never asked them what they do from the point of the check being made online. You can ask them at the same time what they actually do.

Top Bottom